OT - the Munster mobile was made from three Model T's

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - the Munster mobile was made from three Model T's
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 07:15 pm:

I just learned trivia today that said the Munster mobile was made from three Model T's and the TV show was only produced for two years.

Like I said, just trivia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 07:31 pm:

The blond was the only good part of that stupid show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 07:55 pm:

50 years ago T's were just old cars and not worth much. The Munster car is worth more today than the 3 T's used as donor cars even if they were mint.

I agree the show was lame but I always though the car was cool along with the "casket dragster". The blond girl was easy on the eye as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 08:01 pm:

The 'casket dragster' was called "Dragula" if I remember correctly. I saw it at the Don Garlitz museum in FL (Ocala maybe?) several years ago. I don't know if it is still there or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 08:02 pm:

The car had a brief stay in Troy Michigan when the series was popular. AMT (Aluminum Model Toys) was commissioned to make a plastic scale model of it. They also did the "1928 Porter" from My Mother the Car which was also Model T based.

When AMT had the Munster Mobile, they also did a model of Grandpa's car; Drag-u-la.

My late colleague worked there and he showed me a photo of him in the car when it was posed on AMT's front lawn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 08:07 pm:

The original Batmobile sold for 4.62 million a while back. I figure the Munster Coach is worth a pretty penny.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 09:24 pm:

My dad took me as a youngster in the 60's to a car show in South Bend at the civic center. I remember being amazed at all the TV cars. The Munster car, the green hornet car, James Bond, the monkeys, and probably a few others. I might have been 8-9 but still remember it. It was a good day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 09:29 pm:

Met 'em all, in costume, when the first movie opened. Goof. The car was there too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 09:41 pm:

I built the Munster T as a kid, think I still have it somewhere in a box. Never had the Dragula though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 09:58 pm:

I liked the show ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 12:13 am:

So did I. Still laugh at them when the retro TV station runs it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 12:30 am:

there is a local guy that has a replica of Dragula and drives it a good bit.I would feel a bit awkward driving a casket around. He bought his casket from the factory as being a defective unit from what I remember.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Borland. Bathurst. NSW. Australia. on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 01:01 am:

The blond was Beverly Owen. She was the first of three actress's who played the part of Marilyn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 01:52 am:

Corny TV was the name of the game back then. If you think it is bad, perhaps
a quick look at what we have today will cause pause for reconsideration ! Or maybe
reality TV and overly epic end-of-the-world dramas are what it's as for some of
you groovy cats ?

I found the humor more in Herman's total lack of awareness of his appearance
than the track-laugh "funnies" the writers put into the script. Always loved the
way their house always had a dark and brooding storm overhead and all the trees
were dead and full of crows, yet the rest of the world was bright and sunny. :-)

I still find the early seasons of Perry Mason to be my favorite TV of all time. The
first half of the show was shot outdoors all over the L.A. area. It basically shows
everything of my childhood in the background. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 04:39 am:

I believe the blond in the picture is Pat Priest. Beverly Owen was only in the first 13 or so episodes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 08:05 am:

I always wanted to see Fred Gwynne do a re-make of car 54 and get out of the cruiser dressed as Herman.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 10:28 am:

I have vague memories of an article in Rod and Custom or one of those magazines showing it's construction. Seems like they were fiberglass bodies and maybe George Barris was the builder.
Does anyone have a better memory of it or the magazine?

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 10:34 am:

I met George Barris and got a close up hands on look at the munster car at the Pomona swap meet years ago. I happened by his spot when no one else was around and we talked for almost an hour. It was great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 11:11 am:

George Barris was the builder of the car but the bodies were three 1926 or 27 touring tubs. They were not fiberglass. Now the replicas he created (yes, there is more than one) might be.

The batmobiles (yes plural, as there were six), all were fiberglass except the first one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 11:18 am:

DRAG-U-LA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 09:17 pm:

Munsters Documentary on YouTube....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX_s449BVeE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 01:37 pm:

I watched Batman on tv saterday night and the Joker was driving his Joke Mobile.It looked like a T body as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 05:07 pm:

If you look closely at the two photos at the beginning of the thread, the two Munster Mobiles are not the same car.

The Joke Mobile (mongrel T) was driven by Elvis Presley in "Easy Come, Easy Go" in 1967. I don't believe the episode the Joker had it came out until after that movie was filmed.

Mongrelt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 07:27 pm:

Hi Mack, Driving a casket-bodied car wouldn't bother me a bit. It's just a box until something is placed into it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration