Oval Head Square Drive Project

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Oval Head Square Drive Project
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 01:15 am:

I have been at a loss to find oval headed 12-24 screws to go in the dash on my Canadian car. The nickel finish has worn off, due to 88 years of use, and polished stainless is a close 2nd (plus it won't rust). I was able to find some flat head 12-24 on e-bay last month and, with a bit of filing, I made the flat head screw oval headed.

Essentially, I threaded the flat headed screw into an acorn nut and clamped it into the drill press. Then, taking a fine file, pressed against it at an angle, to create the oval head. A bit of sandpaper and a polishing wheel and the oval head is made. The top left is the original screw and to its right is the flat 12-24. The bottom two are ones that I filed down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 01:21 am:

Looks good, my solution was to buy SS oval head screws off the shelf at a hardware store in Cochrane, Alberta while on the National Tour this summer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 01:22 am:

Clever! Bravo, well done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 02:46 am:

That is exactly what I mean when I say a "little creativity goes a long way"!
Beautiful!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 07:39 am:

Mike's has Robertson screw sets.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration