1910 Towncar photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1910 Towncar photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Bracknell United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 04:53 am:

Found in a compilation book of photos is this garage scene c1911. Don't know if the old records still exist in Norfolk to get the exact date of that reg plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 08:20 am:

Great Photo Jem!
Hope you can track down details

-Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Bracknell United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 05:09 pm:

Norfolk Records Archive say they have very few records for that period but I will ask the question anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 05:37 pm:

Jem, I really like Town Cars. This is a nice photo. It sort of looks like the owner may be behind the wheel. I'm a bit confused as to what he is using to rest his derby upon. The brake lever shouldn't be that tall. You can see the horn bulb under the driver's arm. Perhaps he has some sort of umbrella holder there with the hat upon the umbrella. It also looks like the seats are done in leather, I would expect fabric in the tonneau. with that roof rack would this car have been in use as a cab?

If this was a garage scene, why do several of the cars have passengers dressed for travel? Could this have been a hotel garage with a mass departure under way?

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 06:48 pm:

With the flag on the wall in the background, I think it looks like an automobile show. Building looks cramped, but people are checking out the cars. I would really like to know what the two cars are on either side of the T. The radiator shape on the one I know I have seen several times, but I cannot name it. The horn on the other one looks to want to really make a statement!

Thank you Jem, a great picture to be sure.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 10:01 pm:

Wayne, I believe the car on the left is a Minerva. The cars and licence plates look European to me.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 02:37 am:

The car is keeping some fine company. I agree with Richard, Minerva on one side and I think Daimler of the same year on the other side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Norton on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 03:14 am:

Jem, yes, Great Yarmouth    http://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/news/driving_history_is_a_tv_delight_1_3936866

WAITING FOR BUYERS: the St Johnís Motors showroom in Regent Road, Great Yarmouth, on its opening day in 1911. The Regent Bowl ten-pin alleys have occupied the site since 1963. Picture: COLIN TOOKE COLLECTION

http://regarchive.com/regdouble/AH    Is the number plate AH-939, 989 or 999?

The car at left with the scuttle radiator CL-608 first registered in Norwich. http://regarchive.com/regdouble/CL608

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration