Frontenac Specs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Frontenac Specs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Dailledouze on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 11:19 am:

We have a Frontenac head engine at the shop and seeking specifications (clearances etc.) and or instructions. Any old documentation would be appreciated. Please contact Chris at: 903-819-1452 or email at: chris@texomaclassics.com

Thank you in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 07:48 pm:

Chris,

I have and have had lots of Fronty equipment and might know a little about them and typical damage so for what it is worth;

Avoid milling the bottom surface if possible...it might have already been done and I have seen heads that get milled and open the water jacket in the casting. When I was young I had my first Fronty and was building it up. I told my Grandfather I was going to get it "smoothed off" and he said BS, grabbed it and threw it on his bench and went to work with a file. Around the head bolt holes it got shinny and he dressed it right down and told me to use it. Grandfather had put these heads on cars in the 20's and 30's. I know this isn't modern methods but it is hard to put metal back on that has been cut off. Knock off the high spots and use a new head gasket with sealer (I use copper coat).

Second to that, the late Ralph Ricks was blowing a head gasket about once a year with his Fronty. I told him I used studs and not bolts, I used the studs that go into the 2 front on a Model A head in the water neck and he did that and never again blew a head gasket.

Third, check the valve springs. Sometimes previous owners would put a stock T valve spring inside the Fronty spring on the top of the head. The result is broken rocker arms. We are not on the race track and don't need this much spring pressure.

Forth, DO use loc-tight on the shaft stand bolts. They like to walk back and forth and loosen the top end stands and break them. I have fixed many shaft stands and caps.

I set the clearance on top of the push rods at .012. This is so easy to do on an overhead compared to setting stock valves in a T block.

Make sure that the rockers work easy and keep the felt pad saturated with oil and flip it over once in a while. They are a messy head that beats the oil off the "rag" and has no supply. Check the valves that none of them stick open, I have had that happen.

Simple system that will wake up a T but can also break things fast. You will have fun and be amazed at the difference.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Dailledouze on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 10:08 pm:

Tim thanks for the info. We are suspecting a compression problem, will test tomorrow. Interesting info re head gaskets.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration