My new aluminum T block

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: My new aluminum T block
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 10:13 pm:

After 12 years I finally have my 5 main aluminum T block. In the interim I had been able to get some quality iron ones cast, but the goal had always been to get a aluminum one. That has finally been accomplished. Obviously not machined yet, but that will happen this fall.
It will be set onto the pictured repro Fronty oil pan assembly and will also get the Fronty oil pump and side drive water pump and magneto drive. On top will go the pictured BB Rajo.

Here you can see what the crank and rod assembly looks like installed into one of the iron blocks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 10:24 pm:

Beauty

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 10:46 pm:

A work of art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 11:01 pm:

Awesome sauce!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dylan Thomas Wills on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 11:38 pm:

That is amazing! Can't wait to see it done.. Planning some for market someday?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 12:26 am:

WOW!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 12:28 am:

Wow!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 01:16 am:

Thank you all for the kind remarks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen 40 miles west of chicago on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 01:54 am:

Still Babbitt bearings?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 02:20 am:

I for one am in awe!!!! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 04:17 am:

Les,
Amazing! Thank you for the update.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Bergmann Sydney - Australia on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 06:23 am:

Les,
Thank you for sharing this project, great to see the progress. Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 06:27 am:

How cool is that~!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 07:14 am:

Gorgeous! Can't wait to see the running pictures/video!

Jason

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 08:36 am:

Drop dead gorgeous. You must have the patience of Job, Lord knows I don't!! That's why I was never a doctor..."I have no patience"....ohhhh, so bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 08:58 am:

Outstanding work, Les. We've been hearing about your work on a 5-main block for years now; glad to see it finally has come to pass. You should be very proud of what you have accomplished.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 09:12 am:

Incredible!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 12:20 pm:

Chris
Shell bearings (which technically still have a thin layer of babbitt on the crank surface)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 12:37 pm:

Boy oh boy. Mr. Ford would be impressed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 12:40 pm:

Wow Les, that's outstanding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 12:45 pm:

excellent work

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 01:11 pm:

Drop dead gorgeous Les! Obviously not for use with a stock crank. Please comment on the 4 square intake ports on the aluminum block. MT500 legal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 01:41 pm:

WOW! Impressive for sure! Besides the four square intake ports that George House asked about, I noticed that each of the five main bearing caps has a hole on one side. The center main bearing cap seems to have a bolt or stud screwed into that hole. What's that all about Les,......???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 01:41 pm:

Purty!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 01:47 pm:

Crank and rods by Crower
Square intake ports have proven to be more efficient than round. Obviously of no consequence with the BB Rajo
The holes in the caps are for oil pressure. The fitting in the one cap is for the tubing ("inverted" flare)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 02:58 pm:

Most impressive!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 05:01 pm:

THAT would make a hell of an engine for a Sky Scout...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 06:44 pm:

Tim
Yup, that was one of my plans when I started this project!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Magee on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 06:49 pm:

Hi Les,

I always look forward to your posts, but this one is over the top!

Given all of the incredible work you have done in the area of Model T horsepower, have/would you consider reproducing some real pixie dust like a DO Fronty, or even better a DO Gallivan?

The un-shrouded valves in the DO layout plus the potential "high" RPM capability of your 5 main block would make some beautiful music in a Model T racer.

Thanks for all your work and inspiration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 07:12 pm:

Amazing! Great work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 07:22 pm:

Superb! So how many of these did you have poured? I bet there are some folks out here just salivating at the thought of being able to own one of these (or one of the iron ones for that matter). I couldn't do justice to one of these motors with any of my projects but I'm sure others would like to try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 07:39 pm:

Walt
I have two uncommitted iron blocks. I'm undecided as to making anymore aluminum ones.
D.O. Heads are really "cute". Not sure I want to take it on though!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 08:08 pm:

I think Les Schubert was Henry Ford in a past life:-) :-)

N

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 08:13 pm:

I really enjoy and appreciate a subject like this on the forum. It is clearly meaningful to the forum and to our hobby. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 08:44 pm:

Simply amazing. Les, I give you great credit to trying to improve T's without killing their personality. I wish I could afford a bottom end setup. It is just killer and looks extremely dependable in a stock looking exterior package.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 08:48 pm:

Les,

Beautiful craftsmanship! As others have stated, thank you so much for posting the updates etc.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 10:12 pm:

What is the weight difference from a stock block to this aluminum job with cylinder sleeves, etc. installed ?

Beautiful casting !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 06:46 pm:

I can't believe this hasn't generated a hurricane of interest and communication. I'd like to see more of this kind of work. Thank you, Dave Sullivan Bellingham, WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Nichols on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 03:07 pm:

Les,

There is an old saying that goes like this. "Any thing worth doing is worth doing right." Looking at the photos the accolades
handed out are right on target.
A great job to be proud of.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 03:30 pm:

Les,
You say a thin layer of babbit on the crank surface. Do you mean that the babbit is not on the rods, but on the crank? If so would you have to remove the crank and re babbit every time you need to replace babbit instead of just the rods?

Your engine looks like it would run forever and be a fast one. Certainly no more broken crankshafts.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 04:50 pm:

Norm - When Les was talking about the "shell bearings", I believe he was describing "insert bearings" and when he said,..."Shell bearings (which technically still have a layer of babbitt on the crank surface"), I believe he meant a thin layer of babbitt on the surface of the insert bearing which contacts the crankshaft journal,.........harold

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration