Shortened TT driveline and Radius Rods?? I have a question.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Shortened TT driveline and Radius Rods?? I have a question.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 11:08 pm:

Does someone have or is there a chart or list of just how much shorter the drive line needs to be for each aftermarket trans?. I have added to my parts accumulation a TT rear end with drive line and radius rods. It also has aux brakes (I have not yet ID'd them) What I didn't notice was that way back when someone destroyed the backing plates to in-opt the factory brake set-up and the old cast shoes are not present (DANG) My question about the aux trans length is because I noticed the drive line and radius rods are shortened? (I thought they just had a repair) there is a clamping type coupler for the drive line bolted to the front of the rear end housing and the drive tube is clamped into it. I didn't have a tape measure with me or a camera but will have both tomorrow to update here. I just might have stumbled on to something. My own frame is stretched so I won't need the drive line myself. I was after the aux brakes for parts to complete my own set (if they match)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 12:36 am:

Took some measurements. Drive Line is 60" from flange at front of rear housing to universal housing. Radius Rods are 59 1/4" center to center mounting holes. Forgot to measure stock unit in my trailer. Accessory brakes are marked LINCOLN.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 12:46 am:

I get 62" center to center on my radiouse rods with a Muncie aux tranny be easier with two on a tape
Regards bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 12:49 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 12:51 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 12:51 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 12:52 am:

Well that was frustrating.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lonnie Smith Baxter MN on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 07:26 am:

My TT has a Jumbo trans that I will be taking out. The rods right now are 74-1/4" and I will need 65" ones. Did they come in many different lengths?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 08:35 pm:

74" I think are stock length rear mount trans only shorten the driveline from what I have seen the front mount trans the reason is the front mount has now moved back my radiouse rods were cut about 5 sections each why no idea we are welding up the ends and we'll make new center pieces

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 09:20 pm:

Bob, Did you notice the riveted splice in these rods? Kinda neat.
Lonnie, Is your Jumbo in the drive line back by the rear housing? If it is you'll need a driveshaft and torque tube. If you use the old tube and shaft won't your rear end get closer to the engine? Or was your frame stretched?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 10:14 pm:

Both were done witch ever was needed or easiest for the person adding the extra gear box
Yes mine were riveted cut and spliced welded exhaust clamped with steel bar be find it
My radiouse rod are real mess but could not find reasonablelyrics priced replacements so I make them using old ends
Search aux trans here on the forum there was couple good threads on them not long ago

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 11:18 am:

This summer I picked up a chassis that had a Chicago in it and used the "kit" to shorten it. I can run a tape a and see how long if interested. I've see the same "kit" used on a Warford and have some of them parts too. All for sale as I plan to stretch the frame on my TT as I have a set of those and want the longer WB. Have a locked up but complete TT Cast Iron Warford with the extension on it with the bracket for sale too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lonnie Smith Baxter MN on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 03:52 pm:

After looking closer at mine there is a frame extension bolted in so if I remove that and the tranny then everything moves forward. No other parts needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 05:13 am:

Just a heads up, if the drive line is shortened for an auxiliary transmission, DON'T shorten the radius rods the same amount as the drive shaft. You have to factor in the angle of the radius rods. It makes a difference. Dave

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration