Old Photo- Sunset station in San Francisco

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo- Sunset station in San Francisco
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 02:15 am:

I was visiting San Francisco this past weekend, and I stumbled upon what's left of the Sunset filling and service station, built in San Francisco in 1926.

Just down the street, there was a small shop with a sign that said it was closed since 2007 (?) with all sorts of memorabilia and a few pictures of T speedsters in the window- anybody know what the place is?

Top photo is circa 1940's, and bottom photo is as of this past Sunday.

Sunset Station

Writeup on Station

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 09:42 am:

Great looking station. When you look at all the details including the surrounding buildings, you can see that almost nothing has changed. Hopefully they don't tear it down. Thanks for posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 11:35 am:

Amazing how the same buildings are still there! And brick at that!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 07:43 pm:

That is absolutely awesome! I love old pictures, and even more so, old buildings that are still standing and in as good a shape as this one. Imagine the history, and conversations in that building over the years. Hopefully the city of San Fran has had the sense to preserve and protect it's legacy.

Michael, it's good to see a fine young man such as yourself getting into this fantastic hobby of such fantastic cars! Keep it up, and buy more! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 10:23 pm:

What makes you think they were selling Sunset? It looks like they were selling 76 to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 10:46 pm:

Michael, is that in the Sunset District?
Do you remember the streets?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 01:18 am:

Probably get turned into a Starbucks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 02:35 am:

Aaron, That is indeed the Sunset District.
The streets were 16th Ave and Irving. If you click onto the link, at the bottom below the second picture, that Michael posted, it gives a nice story about it.
And Larry I don't think that Sunset was a gasoline Brand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 09:55 am:

I'm not sure if the "official" name of the stations is Sunset Station, but I titled it as such because it's in the Sunset District of San Francisco.

It is indeed on 16th and Irving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 06:48 pm:

To all who are interested, there was indeed a Sunset Gasoline brand. There is an old station in San Pedro that still exists, that used to sell Sunset Gasoline. I would imagine it was only an LA brand, but who knows. Maybe I'll Google it and find out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 07:47 pm:

George, if somebody turns that into a Starbucks, they should be sent to prison! But you're probably right, that's what'll happen. Gotta keep those yuppies happy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Max L. Christenson on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 08:24 pm:

It's hard to believe that a corner lot in San Francisco is still "as is." But, seeing is believing. What's it worth?

Have the site declared as an historic site, so that the site is preserved; put the site in some sort of trust to the MTFCA (tax write-off); and sell MTFCA merchandise at that site, along with presenting it as an historic site. The idea is to re-create an historic corner filling station, complete with cars and non-functioning fuel pumps (due to modern EPA regulations).

Thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 02:20 pm:

I did a Google on Sunset gasoline. There was indeed a Sunset gas. An original porcelain sign recent fetched $32,000 on ebay! Google it, and you will see the photo of the sign. Not knowing much about San Francisco, I wasn't aware there was a part of the city called the Sunset District.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 09:08 am:

Someone needs to turn it back into a period gas station for tourists to stop by and see. I enjoy stopping to see period gas stations when I am on a road trip. Most of the time they are closed, but you can walk up to them and marvel at their display and peek in the windows. Very cool!

Cheers,
Willis

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration