Lowering the steering column

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Lowering the steering column
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 03:27 am:

To accommodate the low bodyline and seating position on my Duncan and Fraser wide body roadster, they had to lower the steering column, and at the same time, it was moved outwards too.firewall

The yellow pen shows the original position. At the firewall, the column has been dropped 1.5" and moved outwards 1". I translate that to 4" at the steering wheel, with about 2.5" sideways.

The workman who oxy welded the blanking plate and the old mounting holes should have stuck to carpentry. I intend to leave his work as found.

There is a wedge under the steering bracket on the chassis. I have yet to tske that off.

A large wooden spacer fits between the column base and the firewall. I replicated it in plywood, as the old one fell to pieces.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 05:02 am:

Very interesting. It is fascinating, the body lines suggest a need to move the steering column. But I never really thought about their making the changes, even though I have worked on so many T speedsters. It is wonderful to read and see how they made those changes.
Thank you for all the close looks at that wonderful project of yours.
W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 05:37 am:

Allan

I applaud you for keeping original artifacts as found. To me, this by far improves the interest of the final product and retains historical information on the build of the car. Bravo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 05:58 am:

Allan,

Thank you for posting the updates. I suspect the wood worker felt that learning to weld was how some of us feel or felt about moving from Windows XP to Windows 7, 8, etc. Why does a car need a metal firewall (dash) anyway? Wood is much better... and easier to work with...

Please keep us posted and especially please post some photos and possibly some dimensions of the spacer on the firewall and on the frame.

For our Left Hand Drive readers -- note we are looking at the firewall side of the 1924-25 firewall in Allan's photo. And they had to keep out of the way of the generator which was also on that side of the engine.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 08:46 am:

Hap,
Here is the spacer block. The larger diameter against the firewall is 6.75". The smaller diameter which goes to the column flange is 5.25", almost 0.5" smaller than the flange. I thought I must have made an error, but when I went back to the column, I could see the register mark sitting well inside the flange perimeter.

The block tapers from just a tad over 1" on the bottom side to a shade under 1.5" top side.spacer

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 12:24 pm:

Allan
The 26-7 column is mounted closer to the frame (and angled down more)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 08:02 am:

Allan,

Thank you for those additional details. We look forward to your future updates. And someday there is going to be a very beautiful Duncan and Fraser bodied Model T emerge from your shop.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration