Pretty nice '12 slab side touring on eBay

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Pretty nice '12 slab side touring on eBay
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 08:04 am:

Not mine. Pretty nice except some knucklehead installed the horn upside down. The original 1941 plate and matching registration is neat.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-T-Fore-Door-yes-Fore-means-forward-door-not-F our-/321884438845?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4af1cec13d&item=321884438845

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 08:22 am:

It is a pretty vehicle but about $49,900 over my current budget.

It will be a major project to turn the car over so the horn is correct and I was especially impressed that it has the "original fan".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 08:32 am:

This was on the block a while back too, in Hemmings. Can't remember what they were asking then. I'd love to have that sitting next to Pete, my '12 Pickup. I love Royce's horn fetish!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 09:10 am:

I thought the single-twist horn was a 1913-15 feature. Is it correct for a '12? Most 12's I have seen have the earlier-style horn, mounted bell end up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 09:11 am:

They sure are expensive, aren't they?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 11:28 am:

The black painted single twist horn is correct for the late '12. So are black and brass lamps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 12:44 pm:

Some single twist horns are mounted with the bell facing up because the side lamp brackets are not properly located. This otherwise results in the horn bracket colliding with the drivers side lamp bracket. Some (possibly all) late 12 Touring bodies have the lamp bracket mounting nuts fully concealed by the Fore Door leading edges, where the Fore Door edges have mating counterbored pockets that identify where the lamp brackets are mounted. Also believe this is the wrong series Vin plate for this late 12 car?
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 03:50 pm:

If you look at the photo of the car in the unrestored state, it shows the horn mounted correctly with bell facing down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 05:51 pm:

That horn orientation thing is one of those things that were misunderstood 40 to 60 years ago. I remember when I was just a kid getting into the hobby, that subject being discussed at club meetings. The general consensus of opinion was that the bell went at the top of the horn. I remember hearing about a lot of restorers turning them over to "correct" the car, and a few stubborn die-hards getting criticized for keeping them the now known correct way because they were sure that "their" car had always been that way.
At that time, I didn't claim to know, and stayed out of those discussions. But after looking at literally thousands of old photos, I learned that what Royce says is right. Mostly. There were exceptions. Mostly, they were non-Fords (but a few early Fords). And they were likely a matter of convenience and availability. Some exceptions were likely also caused by a horn being replaced for some reason or added after-market, and again convenience or availability.
I do occasionally like to thank Royce for his contributions to authentic correctness and education. And also, thank you Royce. I have a late 1912 project pile (that I may never get around to restoring). I now know that I can watch for black and brass T lamps for it. From my looking at photos, I thought maybe it would be okay? But now it is official. (And they are cheaper)
Thank you all!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 06:23 pm:

My understanding is that the double-twist horn goes bell up, and the single-twist ones should have the bell down. I didn't know the single twist ones were ushered in during the 1912 model year. Thanks for the clarification, Royce.

Erik -- Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't scroll through the pics far enough to see those pre-restoration pics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 10:48 pm:

BTW -- Did the single-twist horns used late in the '12 model year have the same round mounting base as the 13's?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 07:34 am:

Mike,

This is an all original unrestored late '12 slab side touring that was on eBay last year. To answer your question, yes the late '12 single twist horns used the round mounting base. The horns and lamps were all brass, but mostly painted black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 10:06 am:

OK, Thanks for the pic and info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 10:22 am:

Also notice in the photo of the unrestored car, there is a Prest-o-Lite tank. There is a photo of lamps that show E&J 666 headlamps and E&J Side lights, too, but the photos of the restored and unrestored car has Brown lamps.

The pin stripe looks correct, and the car looks very nice, but I don't care for the "puffy" upholstery.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 10:43 am:

Yes, the upholstery has way too much stuffing like me at Thanksgiving. Arm rests should be half that wide at the most.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration