Mirror resilvering

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Mirror resilvering
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 09:18 am:

Any source for re-silvering a mirror? The repro ones available are not the size or the shape that I want.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 09:27 am:

Well, folks on this site rebuild engines, pour babbitt, rebuild coils -- why not re-silver mirrors?

http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu//full/1911PASP...23...13C/0000014.000.html

Title: Methods of Silvering Mirrors
Authors: Curtis, H. D.
Journal: Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific, Vol. 23, No. 135, p.13
Bibliographic Code: 1911PASP...23...13C mirrors?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 09:28 am:

Mirror, not mirroe!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 09:31 am:

Yikes! Too complicated. Is there someone out there that does it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / MN on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 09:37 am:

Any competent glass shop can make a mirror for your application. I had a 5" x 7" beveled edge mirror made recently, cost $45.00.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 12:26 pm:

Decades ago there was a guy here in Oroville that did mirror re silvering, right in his garage. Think it cost me $5 to have a rear-view mirror re-silvered. I also have a full-length mirror he did for me, think that was about $15, it's a family piece, so I had it done (beveled edge).
Sadly, he's no longer around, but it must not be a very complicated process for him to do it out of his garage. You might ask some antique dealers for a lead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 03:40 pm:

A year or two ago, someone asked for a suggestion on getting headlight reflectors resilvered. Someone suggested some place in the St. Louis area. They could maybe do it, but I don't have their name or address.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas - Centerville, Iowa on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 03:46 pm:

caswell plating has a kit. check it out

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 03:50 pm:

I dealt with a place that does full size mirror restorations. I brought a mirror off an old Buick I have and asked if they'd do it. Well, when they were done it looked brand new! I couldn't believe the job they did! Incredible work! Cost was $85 and I was all too happy to pay it. You get what you pay for. I can't remember the name of the business. You can try searching online under mirror resilvering. The business is in Skokie, IL.

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 08:36 am:

Has anyone used this? A mirror in a spray can?
https://jet.com/product/detail/2c5d78fc5a5742f39bbfaf5b9f2d068b?jcmp=pla:ggl:art s_entertainment_a3:hobbies_creative_arts_arts_crafts_art_crafting_materials_a3_o ther:na:na:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&k_clickid=e4f55ea2-e749-4e47-9536-ff19c112ea88& kpid=2c5d78fc5a5742f39bbfaf5b9f2d068b&gclid=CJ6S4p_xssgCFcIXHwodNccBmQ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Archer Hayward, CA. on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 05:04 pm:

Walters Mirror 1625A Cody Ave. Ridgewood, NY. 11385 email sales@waltermirror.com Phone 718 366 0777 They do a great job. Just send it to them and when you get it back it's like brand new.

Ed aka #4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 08:21 pm:

Seems the mirror paint only works well on glass to produce a shiny "mirror" result. Otherwise it will not provide a shiny surface. In case you are thinking to use it on old head light reflectors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 09:37 pm:

A place in Wellington, Kansas called "A moment in time" did my two mirrored reflectors for my '14, and they did a great job. I had to wait a while for them but they do good work. 620-399-8765

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration