Problem with the starter?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Problem with the starter?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 12:14 pm:

I have had the starter off the 27 coupe twice, replaced the bendix, tightened the ground, and it tests fine on the bench, but when I re-install it and step on the starter button it just clicks at the button and gets hot. It acts like a wiring problem but I don't know where. I have an aftermarket switch with an ammeter that is not marked ( gen or bat ). Is the gen side the charge side or discharge side? maybe that's the problem. It will start and run fine when hand cranked. All help would be greatly appreciated. Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 02:02 pm:

What's the history of the starter? Rebuilt, never been touched?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 02:41 pm:

Have you tried going directly to the starter terminal while in the car? By-pass everything and see if the starter spins up. Might point you in another direction for the problem. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 07:14 pm:

Thanks to all who responded. Being old and senile I mis-read the wiring diagram and once I changed the wires on the switch the starter roared to life and the car fired up. In the immortal words of Bette Davis, "OLD AGE IS NOT FOR THE TIMID". This site is the best. Harv.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration