Seen at Hershey

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Seen at Hershey
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 11:11 pm:

I always take a lot of pictures here, but it's getting late and I'm pooped, so I'll just post three now and get to the others later.

Arnold Wellens, Den Yoder, Mike Kossor, ??, Some Old Guy

Don Lang with a load of treasures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 01:11 am:

I see that Steve changed to his "Dress up, go to town" tape measure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 03:33 am:

George, I was thinking the same thing.<g> Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 07:21 am:

The first picture is Mark Cameron and the '16 Coupelet he has for sale. We looked at it on Tuesday & it is a nice original and even has the correct oil breather cap that was only used for a short period in '16.

In the second picture, the ? person is Dave Revaz.

Some old guy? Well, he takes really good pictures. :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 09:26 am:

Thank's for the pictures!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 04:36 pm:

In the first picture, I wondered what that thing in the tool compartment was for! It is used to chock up the wheel! :-) :-)

In the picture of Don Lang the horizon looks like the ocean. I don't remember Hershey being anywhere close to the Ocean.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 04:50 pm:

Not the ocean, just rolling hills.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 06:17 pm:

I have seen times it was a ocean of mud!!! Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 07:33 pm:

On Wednesday night several folks were invited to RV's spot for some dinner, and among them was Mark. After finishing dinner I was allowed to crank up that car which of course started on one pull. Great car for couplet lovers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 09:06 pm:

I'm sorry I wasn't there. That sequence of events would have made the trip worthwhile. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 10:31 am:

Is this where we're posting pictures for all who couldn't make it?

Here's some.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 10:32 am:

BTW, that speedster is sitting on a Model T drivetrain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 10:53 am:

Wow, what a great looking speedster, but $48,500 puts it WAY out of my league.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Memmelaar Jr on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 12:13 pm:

It was for sale for 25k earlier in the week inside a trailer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 01:07 pm:

Wow, imagine finding that in a barn yourself! Very cool, think it should be in the T museum "as is". Must have an interesting history.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 05:47 pm:

That Fautless kicks some serious butt!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 07:12 pm:

Not T, but still neat. This beast could be heard from across the field and sounded like a drag car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 11:33 pm:

I took a mess of pictures each day and it's getting late, so I'll post just the Wednesday shots now.

1912 EMF

1910 Chalmers Detroit

1940 Packard 120

Ford, 1912 & other years.

A meeting of Model A Fords.

1920 Ford

Apparently very rare and valuable.

1939 Hupmobile

This Ford's not for sale.

1930 Rolls Royce P2 dual cowl phaeton

1910 Flanders 20, available at $24,500.

1906 Franklin

De Soto Fireflite

"1981 Packard" built on a Cadillac chassis

1925 (?) Pierce

I think somebody got a great deal on this Velie coupe. It was priced at $5000 but sold for only $3000. If it's as good mechanically as it is cosmetically, that was a steal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 02:00 am:

Beautiful pictures Steve,.....thanks,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 02:13 am:

Thanks to all of you who have shared your photos with the rest us, whom were not able to attend this function. Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 02:49 am:

Thank you Steve J! I can't believe that Velie could have sold that cheap. I don't know how I could have done it? But I would have tried.
I sure would like to get there some year, but don't know if that will ever happen. NLNB and OCF are higher on my bucket list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Tipton on Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 04:43 am:

Thanks for all the great pictures! Almost as good as being there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 07:59 pm:

Thanks for the pictures Steve. All us "arm chair warriors" love to see them ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 10:04 pm:

Thanks for sharing the pictures with us Steve.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 06:44 am:

I think the Velie price tags were a joke....I know someone with an early original Rambler (talking 1910 or so) that's beautiful, he'll sometimes put a "15000/13000/10000 SOLD" tag on it, with the first two numbers scratched out...I don't think there's any way that Velie coupe was really priced that low...but, stranger things have happened!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jerry knouse on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 09:47 am:

Steve, Thanks for posting the pictures. It was a pleasure to meet and chat with you at the MTFCA booth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 04:43 pm:

Here are two manifold setups that I haven't seen before. Can anyone identify them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 12:23 pm:

I got home last night and have been editing photos this morning. Here's Thursday:

1936 Chrysler

Nice to see somebody's making parts for the less common makes.

The owner thinks the S fenders on his N were factory installed.

1905 Binford

1918 Olds

1930 Ford

You can have this Ford in any color you want as long as it's black.

1922-32 Chev/Ford and 1917 Overland

Big Boy and Big Car

Coil Doctor Brent Mize and visitors

Henry Ford's 1893 "Kitchen Sink Engine" replica made by a 14-year-old engineer.

I once bought a new car that cost less than this pedal car.

Mike Kossor spent a lot of time testing and adjusting coils.

A car for real touring

A fully restored Packard for only $2200.

If you need to get rid of some spare change...

Sunliner in mid-erection

Pretty neat, but maybe not the most efficient use of space.

A very dressed-up 1916 touring

I've seen these folks every year, but they've always moved too fast for me to get a decent picture.

Thursday night dinner with Model T friends.

That's it for Thursday. I have other fish to fry, so I'll get to Friday later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Matheny on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 12:44 pm:

thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 04:45 pm:

Great photos, Steve !

Here's a shot of Larry's T after the O2O Rally in 2009 at my shop for some maintenance & repair after the run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 05:19 pm:

Speaking of "your shop" Steve, have you still got one? And are you completely moved to the "new digs" by now, or is that going to be an ongoing project for awhile? We need to know if we still have an engine builder/club safety officer/emergency "go-to guy", or just what your present status is,......???

Seriously, I've been gone for a couple months and I'm a little "behind" on what's going on, and I know you're "easing up" to some degree, and well deserved I might add, but then I'm pretty sure that you still need to handle wrenches and Model "T" stuff now and then at least for awhile yet,........heck, after all these years, I'll bet your latest medical lab blood work would show traces of 30 weight motor oil that's slowly turning into 600 weight gear lube,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 07:41 pm:

This was my first visit to Hershey and I had a great time. When I got home and downloaded my camera, I found that I had taken over 650 pictures!

Here are some OT pics I took of cars in the swap meet (many appeared on Saturday in the car show as well) - Brush, Stanley, IHC, and American Underslung. :-)

brush01

brush02

stanley

ihc

underslung

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 05:49 am:

Here's Friday:

1938 Packard

Dreaming of a ride in the Packard?

A shopper visits with Gery Bergbower.

The hack with the Peerless radiator shell seems permanently for sale. It was in the same spot last year.

RV Anderson and another shopper.

1930 Willys Knight

The price on this 1941 Chrysler was $375,000.

1934 Ford, $19,000

This fan appears to have some kind of governor attached.

This gentleman from the Stanley museum demonstrated the starting-up procedure.

Getting the car ready to run took almost an hour.

1932 Chevrolet

Don Lang had this nice 1927 for sale.

The threat of imminent rain prompted a demonstration of this Packard's three-man top.

1913 Overland

Another long-distance traveler.

I'll get to the Saturday pictures later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 12:08 pm:

The big red 20-horse Stanley belongs to John Linderman of Connecticut. He's had it 18 years and tours with it extensively. Except for a brief fling with a 2-cylinder Buick, it's the only antique car he's ever owned. I've ridden in it, and it's a mighty impressive beast.

It might take an hour to start from dead cold if that time includes all the pre-flight stuff. You have to be sure there's adequate pilot fuel, main fuel (they're different!), cylinder oil, engine oil (they're different!), water in the tank, and water in the boiler (they're different!). You have to be sure the pilot fuel and main fuel tanks are pressurized. This is basically similar to being sure your Model T is ready to travel, except that there's more of it to do. And, as with your Model T, you can do it the night, or the week, before. On my smaller, 10-horse Stanley, once I've done all that, I can fire up and steam away in 35 minutes - If. I'm. Not. In. A. Hurry. I have to warm things up gently before I turn the main fire up full blast. If i rush things, I'm likely to flood the burner and start a fire where I don't want it. Then I have to turn everything off and let the fire burn itself out before I start again. It's no big deal, but it adds significantly to the time required.

If anyone would like to experience this ancient and cantankerous (but fascinating!) technology, my Stanley is for sale.

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 12:38 pm:

Steve
We talked to those folks that are too fast for a picture , they're re enactors from Tennessee , they said they've been coming to the show for years , they seemed like nice people , a couple of the boys had some sort of one wheeled machine that they stood on and rode like a sedge way , never saw one of those before but pretty neat .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 01:10 pm:

Great pictures and "explanations" Steve,......thanx for the "day-by-day" photographic coverage! This is one of those posts when you get it all complete, that will be fun to go back to and look it all over several times. Once with a cuppa' coffee, and then maybe once more with a second cup! Like somebody else said,.....makes you feel almost like you've been there (without getting wet or getting your feet muddy),...ha,ha,......thanx again Steve,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 01:13 pm:

Burger - Hey, there's that red (& white) Desoto again! Just think, here's one that didn't have to sacrifice it's "toothy" grill for someone to install in his "49 or '50 chopped top Mercury!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Kuhnash Southeastern Ohio on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 05:05 pm:

I will add some I took. Looks like I took many of the same photos as other folks, here are a couple I didnt see.
+++ jpeg +++ 579632 +++
A custom Roadster +++
+++ jpeg +++ 579634 +++
American LaFrance +++
+++ jpeg +++ 579635 +++
Bugatti +++

+++ jpeg +++ 579638 +++
NIce Harley +++
+++ jpeg +++ 579639 +++
Hercules, Wankle Engine +++
+++ jpeg +++ 579640 +++
This guy said he always wanted a Log Cabin ++++++ jpeg +++ 579641 +++
Very early bike +++
+++ jpeg +++ 579642 +++
Rambler +++
+++ jpeg +++ 579644 +++
Rino Roadster +++

+++ jpeg +++ 579646 +++
Thor Motorcycle +++
+++ jpeg +++ 579647 +++
Yale made in Toledo Ohio +++
+++ jpeg +++ 579648 +++
This T was in the car coral and looked good for the money +++

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 05:11 pm:

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. For all the pics (and maybe more?) For the first time in many years we were unable to go to Hershey due to obligatory situations. Not being able to go made me sick. As it turns out, literally. Was diagnosed with walking pneumonia last week!!! So, all these pics made me feel like we were there.

Thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / MN on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 05:42 pm:

Thanks for the great pics Steve! Very nice you also ID the cars and some of the people.
The Hudson is owned and driven by Heidi Hetzer, she is traveling around the world. I have followed her entertaining blog for about a year now. Here is a link : http://heidi-around-the-world.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 06:05 pm:

The gentleman with R.V. is John Biggs. John is an early Ford enthusiast from England. John shipped his 1903 Ford Model A here last year, attending several U.S. events including Hershey. In a few weeks he'll be hosting a group of U. S. Early Ford owners at the London to Brighton tour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 12:03 am:

Gil,
A 10 horse Stanley---Oooooooh. Unfortunately I don't have enough stuff to liquidate to even think of affording one! What year/body style is yours?
I do have the engine and the outside parts of the rear axle for '15 20 hp Stanley (Sad story, I used to have all the inside parts to the rear axle too).
My plan was to build an '07 Gentleman's Speedy Roadster (will do 60mph on a good road).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 12:09 am:

BTW, if anyone wants to read a really-well-written description of starting a Stanley from cold, find the book, "Smogless Days -- My adventures with a Stanley Steamer." -- Gil's description is very good, but it's not as funny! :-)
Steam car owners are the only folks who light their car on fire to go for a drive.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Kuhnash Southeastern Ohio on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 09:00 am:

Rats I don't know what happened.
Greg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Griffin on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 09:13 am:

Jeff,
I am the new owner of the Model N and I can assure you I do not think the "S" fenders, splash aprons, and running boards were" factory installed"!
Just the opposite, I use them to lower the selling price of the car!
Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 09:18 am:

I don't know what happened either, but here are Greg's other pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 10:44 am:

David -

My Stanley is a 1911 Model 63 toy tonneau. Pictures and description on request if you p.m. me. You don't even have to want to buy it!

Gil

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration