Installing bendix drive

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Installing bendix drive
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Pletcher on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 12:56 pm:

I'm having trouble installing a new bendix drive unit in my '26 T. I have done this once before but it was a long time ago. I don't do this often.

My Model T service manual says to install the spring and the forward screw,
slide the drive unto the starter shaft,
place the key in the slot,
slide the bendix head lined up with the key.

My problem is that I can't seem to be able to get the key in the slot with the spring installed first. I wonder about putting the spring on after I put the key in the slot. I'd be happy for any suggestions.

The time study says it's a 20 minute job once the floor boards are off. Fat chance for me anyway.
Regards,
Larry Pletcher

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 02:30 pm:

Step one is turn the shaft with the keyway up.
Step two install the key in the slot.
Step three slide the bendix in place.
Step four install spring and the short forward bolt.
Step five install the long rear bolt.
Step six bend over the lock tabs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Pletcher on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 05:47 pm:

Hi Royce,
It's back together and started the engine. Once the key was in and the bendix head on my headache was compressing the spring, lining up the screw hole, and getting the last screw in. It took a bunch of tries. Guys that do this often probably won't have the trouble I had.

Don't know how many times I dropped screws before I was done. Those little screws that hold the cap on sure are a pain. It least I left the engine side one on.

Thanks for your advice. I wish I was closer to guys on the list. Best regards,
Larry Pletcher

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 01:01 am:

The really difficult screw on the bendix cover is the one closest to the engine. The trick is to put it in with 2 or 3 threads, then install all the bendix stuff. Then glue the gasket to the cover but cut the hole closest to the engine so it is U shaped. Then fiddle the cover on and slide it under the installed screw. The other three screws are much easier.
Another trick, which I don't like is to use a keyed screws, so that you can use an Allen key to position the screws.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 11:20 am:

I have done it many times. You can use a long nose pliars if you can't reach with the finger. Once you get it started in the slot gently put a screwdriver on top of it and tap the screwdriver to get the key all the way down in the slot. Then the bendix head. Problem with putting the key on before the bendix is the possibility of dislodging the key and knocking it into the crankcase.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 11:59 am:

You should not have to compress the spring. Sounds like the spring is no good. Everything lines up and slips together easily if it is in good shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 03:23 pm:

Step 0 is do not connect the starter wire first.

My friend hit the starter button with his elbow and the gear gave his finger a nasty cut.

The starter motor spins fast with no load.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Pletcher on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 04:23 pm:

Good thought James. I have a battery disconnect and used it before I started. My elbow would have been all over that button.
Regards,
Pletch

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration