Should I purchase the Model T Judging Guidelines Book?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Should I purchase the Model T Judging Guidelines Book?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 01:05 pm:

It was recommended by a friend that I purchase the Model T Judging Guidelines book in order to make sure that my car was restored correctly. He gave me his copy from 1989, which has about eighty pages in it. The sixth edition has 186 pages, so there obviously was new information added over the past twenty+ years. It is available for purchase here:

http://www.modelt.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=92&Itemid=149

My Tudor was built in February, 1927 in Canada and, as I have discovered restoring this car, there are many differences - differences that even the vendors are not aware of.

In the preface of the 1989 version, it was stated that a Canadian section would be added in future editions. I e-mailed Luke Cordes several weeks ago to see if there was any information in regards to Canadian cars in the 6th edition and never heard back from him. Some guys have been disappointed with the current edition,

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/251794.html?1323304535

so now I am posting this on the forum in hopes to make an informed decision.

Here are my questions:

Does the 6th edition have a section on Canadian cars?

Is there any additional information on 1927 cars that would make it prudent to purchase this book?

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 01:16 pm:

It is not perfect - but it is a great resource.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 05:20 pm:

Jim -- Russ Furstnow is the Chief Judge for the MTFCI and the fellow who put together the 6th edition of the Guidelines. He should be able to answer any questions you have about them. 1stnow@msn.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 06:21 pm:

Jim
When I was evaluating the purchase of a purported to be 1915 car I found the guidelines helpful but not completely definitive in detail. Good value. Found running the knowledgable persons essential....and conflicting too.
Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 07:27 pm:

I don't think there is anything on Canadian cars in the guidelines, but it a good resource.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 08:22 pm:

Jim,
The 6th Edition MTFCI Judging Guidelines is a dynamic document that is constantly updated and corrected. At this time, the guidelines do not address Canadian cars, BUT I have contacted some Canadian members to help with this. I would like to have some information regarding Canadian cars in the guidelines in the future.
I hope this helps, and if you have any questions, please contact me.
Russ Furstnow
MTFCI Chief Judge

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 08:24 pm:

Great Guide lines to guide you on a restoration. You may not make it perfect but not many are / Good luck, oh I bought one a long time ago and have read it but did not follow the rules.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 08:26 pm:

Forgot something, Your read that NO MODEL T are the same. So to have a perfect one would be almost impossible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 11:59 pm:

Or, to put it in more practical terms, the imperfect T is the perfect T.

Don't get so hung up on making it perfect and put your energies into having fun.

Neurotic is not a good thing. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration