Model T? Model A? Year

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Model T? Model A? Year
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Flammang on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 04:09 pm:

Can anyone identify the model and year of the vehicle in this picture?Model A?  Model T?  Year?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 04:14 pm:

Model T for sure. I guess 1922. Boy oh boy, those storm curtains are in rough shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 04:15 pm:

Model T.
Very few model A Fords had wooden spoke wheels.
They did not have fenders and doors like that.
That was the special raggedy ass edition for those that wore jeans with holes in the knees.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 04:19 pm:

1923 thru 1925 T. Hard to tell without seeing the front of the car. This car has the "one man top" Which came out late in 1922 for the 1923 model.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 04:21 pm:

Bottom door hinge looks short, so I'd say 1925

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 04:25 pm:

make that early '25, as it has the earlier style bead on the front fender.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 04:27 pm:

Rubber plug…….

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 04:28 pm:

30x 3 1/2 clinchers and front fender molding makes me think not 1925. I would say 1923-24.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 04:30 pm:

Yes, rubber plug, they bought the demountable rims and starter/generator but didn't plan on putting the top down so didn't get the top saddles and posts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 04:32 pm:

Looks to me that the windshield is vertical, not slanted backwards

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 05:02 pm:

Clarity is good, but the angle of the photo does not show many details well. I am undecided on the "short/even" door hinge question. And cannot really say for certain that it is a slanting windshield (although I think it is). It is a one-man top, and has the still plugged hole for the top supports in the rear side of the body indicating '23 to '25. My "size eye" says it is a high hood/radiator, although none of the confirming details can be seen. These include the cowl profile, relative dimensions of the radiator, and the hood hook dimples in the lower edge of the hood. All blocked from view.

The side curtains are very interesting. They in part do not look like any original Ford offering I have seen, likely an after-market variation. The panel next to the standing adult appears to have ridged frames around a glass window and a ridged frame at the back and front edge of the piece by the front seat. It appears that the front door panel is not currently installed. I wonder if it also had ridged framework and did it remain attached to the door when the door was opened?
The rear side-panel with the two kids looking out, may be a standard Ford side-curtain. Close examination indicates that it does not have any ridged framework. The lights, whether originally glass or isinglass, are gone. At first, I questioned the relative condition, and lack of framework? Then I noticed the size and shape and placement of the windows/lights was different than on the other panel. So I am guessing a non matching set.
Maybe mom and dad wanted something nicer? But the kids destroyed those by stomping their feet on them when they were down, so they can live with 'em.
Note also, the condition of the top's rear curtain. I wonder how old the car was when the photo was taken? Age? Or unruly kids? An interesting look at life in the past.
Thank you Roger F!
W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Flammang on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 05:03 pm:

Did this windshield glass come from this vehicle?Windshield?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 05:05 pm:

The lower hinge is hard to pin down since we're looking at the end of it. It is casting a pretty long shadow. Whether the windshield is slanted or vertical is a tough call as well.

Three things we can clearly see are the one-man top, the front fender bead, and the 30x3-1/2 demountable-rim wheels. My vote is with Layden, '23-24. I think it's a high hood but can't say for sure. If it is, it's a '24.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 05:11 pm:

other side of the sloped windshield can be seen through the opening of the side curtain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Flammang on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 05:11 pm:

...this picture was taken likely in the late 40s since the two girls ( sister and cousin ) were perhaps around 10 years old. They are now in their mid to late 70s. That is my grandmother. As I recall, the vehicle was 'hand started' with a 'crank' in the front. I do have two of the original wheel rims. I remember it still being used in the late 50s....with occasional stops to re-inflate the tires! As I further recall, some purchased it from my grandfater for $50!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Flammang on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 05:20 pm:

...note that its only the bottom piece of glass ( of the two shown ) that I am speaking of. The second piece above is smaller and curved...and I believe it is the front or rear window glass from an old Ford pickup. What would the two 'hingles' on the upper window frame used for? Where they simply something to grab onto to tilt the windshield?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Flammang on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 05:21 pm:

..this windshield is some 14 inches by 41 inches at the outter dimensions and 12 inched in the middle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 05:48 pm:

That is not the same windshield as the car in the picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 05:54 pm:

Rubber plug just means they didn't remove the rubber plug.

They didn't pay extra for the top saddles and posts because those came with the car as standard equipment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Flammang on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 06:16 pm:

Derek Kiefer....any idea what type of vehicle this windshield would have come from if not the Model T. Does it look like a Model A windshield. The Model T was my grandfather's and the windshield was found in an old shed on his farm...but I know of no other vehicle my grandfater owned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 07:15 pm:

Raggedy Ass ......

Me thinks that might suit my character .....

Hmmmmmm ......

Raggedy Ass Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 07:41 pm:

I'm going to go with the 1922 crowd. Look at the back curtain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 07:58 pm:

Is it me, or is that rear fender "flat"...I really can't make out a crown. If so, it's pre-'17 right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 08:01 pm:

I just saw this fitting cartoon in Floyd Clymers / Les Henry's "Model T Memories":

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 08:06 pm:

Tim, the fender is crowned alright, look at the rear corner of the body, it's a three piece rear end, not five piece like 1921 and earlier. Must be a '22 (or later)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 09:55 pm:

Your thread on the windshield.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/577434.html?1444341544

I think it is General Motors, possibly Buick.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration