OT kinda, trip #7 to estate and my new toy (tool) :-)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT kinda, trip #7 to estate and my new toy (tool) :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 09:37 pm:

Just got back from trip #7 to the large estate I have been helping with, and also buying a few toys for myself. I did not get much T stuff this time as the main purpose of the trip was to get my Bridgeport milling machine that I bought last spring. But if there are T parts there, a person "must" get something model T :-) So I picked out a few things. The Bridgeport is a 1966 model and is in pretty good condition. The ways are good and the backlash is excellent for an older machine. There will be a few minor things I want to fix up, but it is useable as-is. It is also single phase, which is a plus where I live. It only has a 32 inch table, I wanted a 42 inch table, but for the price I could not turn it down. It will work for 90% of my projects, so it will have to do. It is 4 times as large as my current mill and it accepts R8 tooling so I have way more versatility as to tooling. There is quite a bit of tooling with it and I also have lots of tooling already. There is also a "Shaping attachment" on the Bridgeport. It may be something I use but since I have never had a shaping attachment I do not know how handy it may be. I can see cutting key ways with it, but for what else I do not know. I also got a nice tool post grinder for my lathe. As to T parts I found lots of windshield frames for 18-22 models. I believe 2 of them are NOS and have NOS plate glass". Plate glass is not good to use, but its neat to see the NOS stuff. There was also some Hassler parts and lots of used hubcaps. There are two of the hubcaps Im not sure what are. They may be for tractors but unsure. I also got a 1946 2 cycle gas powered jackhammer. That thing is "evil". I just had to have it :-). Then I also bought the Model A powered Gordon/Smith air compressor conversion. They are designed to run on 2 cylinders and compress air with the other two cylinders. The man the estate belonged to was the person who made almost all the repro gas tanks from the 1970s era till he passed away a few years ago.(his helper is still making them today) This is the air compressor they used in the manufacture of the gas tanks. They used it till about 15 years ago and then bought a new Ingersoll Rand compressor. So if you have a repro tank older than 15 years old, this compressor was probably used to help build it. So with the model T parts and since Im going to use the Bridgeport to make my speedometer road gear adapter plate, for the Disteel wheels on my speedster project. This may not be OT after all.

what are the following hubcaps for .??? I also show a stock model T car hubcap for size comparision

I had to pull the Bridgeport 30 feet with this com-a-long to load it, and now Im having to pull it 45 feet to get it into the shop, dang Im getting to old for this :-)

I only have about 10 feet left to pull that dang com-a-long tomorrow and the Bridgepoet is home ... It weighs over 2000 lbs of dead weight.

Some of the tooling that came with it.

Gordon/Smith Model A air compressor conversion

One final note, This estate had tons of T parts in it. The lady who now owns it did not want to see any of it scrapped. Her main purpose with it is to see it go to people who want and need it. The price she gets for something is always the second thing, not the first thing she worries about in the sales. The first thing is to see it go to a good home. Too bad there are not more like her. There have been several forum members as well as some of our local club members who have been to the estate and bought lots of things to save and pass on or be used in their projects. So there is still some "good news" to share instead of "all bad news"

(Message edited by dobro1956 on October 08, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 09:43 pm:

Hubcaps are Model A truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 09:57 pm:

Layden. Are both of the hubcaps model A truck... ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 12:51 am:

Here is a link I found showing a Syntron jackhammer in use. I would hate to use that think, it weighs a ton...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5vl_UTVAiQ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 01:44 am:

Looks to be a handfull of TT hubcaps in your find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 06:34 am:

Interesting video of the jackhammer. You think he would find an easier way to get the weeds out of his yard. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration