Firewall wood blocks

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Firewall wood blocks
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 10:40 pm:

I have what I think is a 1924 coupe. It has a metal firewall. The standard high hood does not fit, it is too long from the radiator to the firewall. The height seems to be correct both at the firewall and at the radiator.
I see from the Snyder catalog that a standard high hood is 24 3/4 from front to back.
My coupe measures 24 1/8 inches at the top and 24 1/4 at the bottom between the firewall and radiator.
Now the 1/8 difference is probably sag in the chassis.
My question is where has the 1/2" gone?
Should there be wood blocks between the firewall and the brackets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 11:11 pm:

check the rod from the firewall to the top of the radiator...that may be where your length is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 11:28 pm:

Tony, I have no experience with closed cars, but on all the open cars I have owned there has never been a wood block between the brackets and the firewall. The brackets were changed when the metal firewall was introduced. The earlier ones had a different offset to accommodate the thickness of the wooden firewall.

Don't know if this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 12:30 am:

Allan, I think that may be the problem.
The wood firewall would have a different offset compared to the metal firewall. If my coupe has the wood firewall brackets with the metal firewall, then it would move the body forward 1/2". I see that the vendors have both available, no swap meets until Chickasha in March....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 04:08 am:

Tony, that was my thought at first, wrong brackets.
However, for the hood to be too long, it means the whole body must have been moved forward to the wrong brackets,the ones for a wood fire wall, and I thought that was unlikely.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 08:12 am:

No swap meets? Hershey is in full swing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 01:37 pm:

its a long way from San Diego for a $13 part.....

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration