Choke wire

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Choke wire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken bechtel on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 07:03 am:

Anyone have a photo or measurements for the choke wire that goes through the apron on a 24 tudor ? thanks, Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 07:39 am:

Mike Walker makes them . He does a fine job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 07:59 am:

Hi Ken,

Try this link at Jon Regan's Fun projects:

http://www.funprojects.com/pdf/ARCFX9.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 07:59 am:

If you want to make your own, a coat hanger or a 3/32 piece of welding rod will work. The diameter of the loop is 1 1/16, with a 1 1/2 wrap. The length varies depending on the brand of carburetor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 09:16 am:

The ones I make are sold through Lang's.

https://www.modeltford.com/pl.aspx?t=s&v=choke%20rods&page=1

They are the correct material for each year, and the correct shapes. Both materials and shapes changed through the years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leonard J Evansic on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 12:30 pm:

There is another post that shows the location of the hole in the apron of a 15. I printed it up,but I can't find it. Could someone please post it.---Len

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 01:00 pm:

This shows the location of the choke wire hole on any brass radiator from 1909 - 1916:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/478960.html?1410707026

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 03:36 pm:

I use piano wire. The brass wire I originally used broke.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 06:31 pm:

Piano wire is way too small, and if you used brass wire, no wonder it broke!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 07:58 pm:

No original Ford choke rods were made of brass, even though all the ones sold by the other vendors are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 08:36 pm:

My dad has a couple NOS choke wires that he picked up from a Ford dealership approximately 65 years ago.

Both have a raven finish. One has a single twist while the other has a double twist.

He recently put the double twist on his 1917 Ford.

Double twist choke rod:

Rest of the photos are the single twist:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 09:07 pm:

Note regarding my post above: both wires above have a right angle bend where they attach to the carb. According to John Regan's research, these correspond to the April 14, 1925 revision. The raven finish would indicate up to the July 23, 1926 revision when black enamel was specified.

The "two turns" or double twist on the wire that is now on my dad's 1917 Ford does not agree John's research.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 08:28 am:

The right angle bend is how they were sold. You put the second bend in on installation.

No doubt every auto part store would have sold something this common. I bet the one your dad has is an aftermarket replacement from Western Auto or Pep Boys ore some such.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 11:25 am:

Not every Model T is going to have the same length. You must bend the end to fit your carburetor.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration