OT. I need to watch a good tear jerker

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT. I need to watch a good tear jerker
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 05:35 pm:

Not a lot to add to the title.
What movie gets you emotional?

When I was a kid it was Old Yellow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 07:22 pm:

Can't think of any movie at the moment, but frankly, being an avid dog-lover, the "Pit Bulls & Parolees" show on Animal Planet sure comes close to needing to grab the kleenex sometimes. What a fantastic job those rag-a-muffen family members do rescuing dogs of all breeds, altho mostly Pits, as well as the Parolees. They are truly saints.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 07:55 pm:

"Cinema Paradiso"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 08:17 pm:

Don't really watch tear jerkers. Usually because that's the reason they were made. But when those guys come back on the radio after that long silence during re-entry in Apollo 13 it gets me every time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 08:30 pm:

Any Laurel and Hardy film where they tear apart a model T car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 08:49 pm:

Blazing Saddles pretty much destroys me emotionally. Especially when Slim Pickens saves the railroad pump handcar from the quicksand. It's an emotionally charged scene that keeps me on the edge of my seat every time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 09:00 pm:

Michael, you hit the nail on the head!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 09:02 pm:

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Z , Candlewood Lake, CT on Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 09:15 pm:

Not that it's necessarily a "tear jerker", but the opening scenes of "Saving Private Ryan" always get to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 09:25 pm:

Michael, I agree on Blazing Saddles. Best movie ever made! I have it in blue ray. I don't know how many times I've watched it. There's nothing like showing it to today's generation of politically correct types.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 09:49 pm:

I went to see Blazing Saddles when it was first released in theaters. I was laughing so hard I thought I was going to die. It is perhaps the best movie ever made. It was ignored by the Oscars. Mel Brooks is a genius.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 10:10 pm:

The end of "Ghost" gets me every time. Fortunately, Linda likes action/adventure movies more than tear-jerkers. Unfortunately, she also does not like Mel Brooks.
I may never get to see "Blazing Saddles". Oh well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Hope on Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 11:38 pm:

"Quest for Fire" 1981 You don't need subtitles because there is no dialog.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 08:19 am:

I never did quite get the tear jurker movie thing.When I watch tv,it is usually because I am tired, down and out or hurting like a (((( and I want to be LIFTED UP out of a rut,not thrown under the bus.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 08:21 am:

It's getting close so my suggestion is Christmas Shoes,If you cant find it send me a P.M. I'll send it to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 08:45 am:

Two:

Captains Courageous–Spencer Tracy makes Freddy Bartholomew (and the audience) care.

Going My Way–When you see what happens while Bing sings the lullaby...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 07:41 pm:

" Love Actually "

" Big Fish "

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 07:46 pm:

The opening scene of "Glory" where the Union Army is charging a well entrenched Confederate artillery position.

Also, when George shoots Lenny in "Of Mice And Men".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Johnson, Medina County TX on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 09:12 pm:

"American Sniper" An awesome movie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 09:55 pm:

I agree with American Sniper.
I watched it on a flight to China and the person sitting next to me thought I was nuts.
At least I was not placed in restraints.
Chris Kyle was a true American hero - saving the lives of our men that are protecting us and he died trying to help on other one.

I need to stop before I say something that will get my posts deleted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 11:08 pm:

I was always partial to Slim Pickins riding the bomb down in Doctor Strangelove. I am of the age that had to practice hiding under the desk at school during the cold war.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 11:27 pm:

Blazing Saddles? Really? That was the most stupid movie every made. I walked out. A real waste of money and time. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 11:28 pm:

P.S. I will never watch Mel Brooks productions after that. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 08:57 am:

Mel Brooks is a comedic genius, and Young Frankenstein is probably the greatest comedy ever made. Blazing Saddles is certainly in the top three.

For a tear jerker that hasn't yet been mentioned, try Ladder 49 with Joaquin Phoenix and John Travolta. Also, believe it or not, there is a scene in the silly sci-fi movie Battleship that gets me too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 09:29 am:

"The Boy in the Striped Pajamas". I guarantee...you won't make it......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Leck - Ohio on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 10:42 am:

I was surprised that Gran Torino stirred me at the end. It is a one of a kind movie...perhaps even slightly not OT in a broad sense?

Captain's Courageous is what first came to mind. Watched it again just a few months ago and sure enough...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 10:46 am:

The last scene from Saving Private Ryan when he asks his wife if he wasn't too big of a mess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 10:59 am:

So Scott, don't hold back now. Tell us how you feel about Mel Brooks. No, seriously, what's your opinion? Did you enjoy "Robin Hood, Men in Tights?" How about "High Anxiety"? "Young Frankenstein"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 11:47 am:

When 8 years old seeing "Bambi" when his mother gets killed.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 12:31 pm:

I see Mel,s humor as dumb slap stick. LIke he has done to many drugs. It must be me but I dont care for him or his work. Iam glad somebody gets to relax watching him, its just not me. Scott ps I would rather work on a chexy then enjoy Mel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 02:45 pm:

I just remembered Steel Magnolias is a great tear jerker and very funny - especially if you are a northerner and have lived in a small southern town.

I don't like Shirley MacLaine's politics but her character was great.
There was one scene where I didn't know if I should laugh or cry! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 03:04 pm:

The Notebook

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 03:14 pm:

"Avalon"

Roughly the story of my life, set in the 40's instead of the 60's and a little poorer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van Evera in the U.P. of MI. on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 04:29 pm:

"TAKING CHANCE." If you can watch it and keep a dry eye you're doing better than me. It's about how our military treats their (our) dead and is a very, very patriotic movie. Well worth tracking it down and watching it........ God bless America!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam "POPS" Humphries Lexington, KY on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 04:36 pm:

Joe Van, You are right on. Have it on DVD and have watched "TAKING CHANCE" several times and these old eyes still get a mite damp. Shows how many true Americans relate to our fallen hero's. With absolute respect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 10:09 pm:

Mel has his moments, but I find most of the humor a little too obvious or predictable to be very funny.
I prefer a wry, sarcastic, self-effacing humor that requires a little more intellect to get the underlying
"funny".

My favorite (humorous) movie of all time is Office Space. Borat was a little crude, but growing up
with eastern Europeans, I think I "got" more of the humor than most. And who could not identify
with all the annoying characters spun into the plotless, but funny Napolean Dynamite ? People are
annoying. I find great humor in that. Like all these people who ruin a great evening for these two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgOqcH1Ywzs

I hate "action" movies, or sappy "feel good" films. I saw enough "action" in AFG and don't need
the macho BS. Sap ? No thanks. I get my "feel good" by doing service for others. Give me laughs
in a movie, or I have better things to do. That's what my old junk is about. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 10:30 pm:

Blazing Saddles ....

Cowboys eating beans around the campfire.

That is crude & rude at its' finest .....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 10:33 pm:

BOT .....

" Field Of Dreams "

" The Natural "

" Schindler's List "

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 10:38 pm:

My youngest daughter was 7 and we went to see " Frozen " right when it came out - before Disney knew they had such a big hit ....

I cried a LOT when the one sister saved the other one near the end .....

My daughter was so embarrassed.....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 10:41 pm:

"The Road" is as depressing as you can possibly get. Abandon all hope ye that enter here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 10:44 pm:

There's a few. It's a Wonderful Life comes to mind right now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 10:51 pm:

I also cried a LOT at the end of " Dances With Wolves " when Lt. Dunbar is riding out of the Indian Camp w/ his wife & child.

His Indian friend is shouting out to him from the mountain above:

" Do you see me ? "

" I am your friend - I will always be your friend "

Earlier in the movie he did not like Dunbar - then he told him that the husband of " Stands With A Fist " was he best friend
so it was hard for him to like Dunbar ..

But then he came to believe his friend had " left " to make room for Dunbar ....

I saw that movie with my parents.

I think they were embarrassed when I started crying too ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 11:50 pm:

Oh, we're into depressing now? On The Beach takes the cake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 06:24 am:

When Dumbo's mother reaches through her cage and rocks him in her trunk, and "Baby Of Mine" is playing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Nichols on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 01:22 pm:

The movie "Fly Away Home," at the end always gets to me and Mel Gibson in "Payback," gives me laughs and giggles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 01:49 pm:

I will say I've developed a new found appreciation for the scene in Blazzing Saddles when Mongo (played by the late Alex Karras) smacks a horse up alongside the head (don't ask me why):

The most emotional movies for me seem to be increasing as I age. Recently, "Meet me in St. Louis" has been a favorite (and a red Ford Model S Roadster is in the opening scene).

Others include "We were Soldiers (movie) once.....and Young (book)," "Mary Poppins," "Wizard of Oz," and "Gone With the Wind."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 02:31 pm:

The Bridges of Madison County—movie or novel; take your pick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 03:19 pm:

On Golden Pond

The Notebook

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Hayward on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 04:36 pm:

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls003577423/

THE LIST OF TEAR JERKERS ONLINE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 08:39 pm:

When I need a good depressing movie, I go straight to The Deer Hunter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 10:54 pm:

All right I've been holding out on this thread.
I grew up in the sixties and reading comic books was one of the things I did with my cousins. We would swap them and have sleep overs and talk about the characters. Then forty years later the movie industry started to get serious about making "comic book" movies I had to go see them.
Especially the Marvel ones. There are a few scenes in some of them where the movie makers absolutely nail it. And by this I mean that they have matched the memories I have of being a twelve year old and imagining the story in the comic book being real. May be I'm so happy I could cry.

Nuff Said

Excelsior

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 11:24 pm:

The ones that bring tears to my eyes, even though I know they've been specially prepared for their movies...is anything of Laurel and Hardy where they destroy a Model T (sort of like Chico Marx's pianos, those make me cry to, because I know what they did), gets me every time. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 11:28 pm:

"I Remember Mama" next Saturday on the Turner Channel

-Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 06:53 pm:

I know it's a fairly new movie. But Forrest Gump always gets to me. The scene when he's telling Jenny all about what he and little Forrest have been up to since she passed away is hard to watch without tearing up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 08:52 pm:

"They Shoot Horses Don't They?" It's that wonderful scene where the guy helps the non-talent Hanoi Jane Fonda blow her stupid brains out. It's not Blazing Saddles but it still makes me smile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 12:36 am:

It wasn't a tear-jerker, but we went to the movies today, first time for 10 years (when we saw Wallace & Gromit in "Curse of the Were-rabbit"), and saw "The Martian." I thought it was well-worth seeing on a Large Screen (not as big a screen as is in our historic theatre, but good-sized).
NO, we did not buy nor eat the popcorn!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 08:39 am:

Michael, I had never seen that movie but after reading your post I went on you-tube and watched the ending. Made me smile too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 09:45 am:

Michael, I must admit what you said about Hanoi Jane is right on target. My favorite tearjerker is the very recent show Wait till Next Year starring the Chicago Cubs where they have to win the next four games. I am very disappointed in their performance while hoping for a better show than it has turned out so far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 07:35 pm:

Dave. Thank you for the Blazing Saddles DVD. :-)

I will be sure to have a full glass of wine and box of Kleenex nearby when I start watching it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 01:07 am:

"We Were Soldiers" does it for me. To me, it is one of the best movies to show the stupidity of the Viet Nam War. I was there and didn't understand the reasoning and tactics used then, and still don't. JMHO. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 08:37 am:

Fred - you're welcome!

Good Luck with your engine.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration