Firewall bracket bolt size 1911-1912

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Firewall bracket bolt size 1911-1912
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg sarky K on Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 11:46 pm:

Firewall bracket bolt size 1911-1912

What is correct for 1912 firewall bracket bolts? The guidelines say 5/16 coarse thread. The head size is 13/16 and a ½ inch nut. This is the photo shown.

I have 3 original firewalls for my three 1912 cars. The early , February car , has a bolt head imprint on the firewall which shows it to be a one inch head. The other two later firewalls for the later cars, show head imprints to be 13/16.

So my questions are, what is the correct head size for 1912 and what is the length of the bolt and are there washers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 09:16 am:

The bolt in your picture is the correct one.
The correct nuts use 9/16" wrench size. There should be a flat washer just barely larger diameter than the nut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By roy palmer on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 10:33 am:

anyone know the head diameter and bolt length?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 10:47 am:

Head diameter is 1". The bolt length is 1 3/4".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg sarky K on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 11:43 am:

Thanks Royce..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 12:30 pm:

I believe these are called "Step Bolts" and are available from good hardware supply houses--Orchard Hardware Supply USED to carry them! Collier's Hardware in Chico still had some last I looked (But that doesn't help those of you who do not live near Chico, CA! BTW, they had all the rivets I needed when I was fixing my T frame.). The nuts are a different situation, washers are PROBABLY SAE size, not USS which seems to be so prevalent nowadays.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By roy palmer on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 01:21 pm:

So I am assuming that the Guidelines are incorrect and that Royce is correct?

The guidelines say "5/16 coarse thread. The head size is 13/16 and a ½ inch nut"

The head in the photo sure looks like its an inch….

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration