How do I install brass rivets in cal?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: How do I install brass rivets in cal?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Austin Baker on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 11:04 am:

How do I install brass rivets in CAL for hood lace on a 1926 coupe? Does the part that bends over go on top or underneath CAI? How is the best way to bend them over? Do I remove gas tank? Do I remove steering column to put dash on?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 12:21 pm:

Here's a good thread with discussions on how to best rivet the hood lacing to the cowl on 26/27 improved cars: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/420504.html?1391485556

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 02:46 pm:

Dan Treace always posts the truth! That is why I admire him. It is obvious from his photo the rivets are steel. We sell them to Langs, and they are steel. The earlier ones are put in the other way around, with the head on top of the lacing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 04:08 pm:

Am I to understand that on cars before the Improved cars the rivets were installed the other way/ I ask as I have finished two weeks ago installing new lacing on my 24 roadster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 09:54 am:

Jerome

Think that the metal firewall cars had the split rivets bedded in the welting. However the Ford Service shows a '24 and seems the rivet heads show on top of the woven welting. That could be artist work on touching up the photos.

But then again, have seen too many original low and high metal firewalls with the split rivets exposed. Doesn't see practical to me for the Ford assembly worker to split the rivet against the inside metal. That split rivet is designed for bedding into the fabric, just like a transmission band. But who knows.....no Ford assembly workers around today to instruct us. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration