JUST FINISHED MY '14 TOURING...Many thanks to MY forum!!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: JUST FINISHED MY '14 TOURING...Many thanks to MY forum!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 03:59 pm:

I sincerely want to thank all the unbelievably helpful members on this forum. Royce, Regan, Howe, Potter, Patterson, Jelf, Coiro, Cole (from Earth), Lang's, Snyder's, Chaffin's....The list is endless, but packed with talent. How many times I was working on an area and someone on the forum was at the same point I was and made the problem disappear. I hope you guys know how much your expertise is truly appreciated by us "newbies" here. Two years ago I bought this car. I drove it, learned it and became familiar with it's peculiarities. One year ago, my son and I tore her down to the frame and began the restoration. What a great year!

Can't wait to get my next one!

Thank you all..whether you know it or not.. it is the best site on the web!
Sincerely,
Gary Wheeler
Wall, NJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 04:14 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 04:30 pm:

Gary - Congratulations. Is this the same car as the blue one in your profile?

It looks excellent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 04:43 pm:

Looks outstanding Gary! I hope it drives as great as it appears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 04:46 pm:

Wow! _Let me repeat that: Wow! _Gary, that is one SHARP looking car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 05:03 pm:

It's the same car. It runs great! Little warm, but the engine is freshly rebuilt so I'm giving it the winter to break in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 05:32 pm:

Gorgeous. Congrats on a fantastic job!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 06:32 pm:

'14's are very special. You are right about the good information here on the forum. Many restorations are benefiting from the knowledge here. It is nice to see the wonderful job you have done on this one. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Cook, Geneva,NSW Australia on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 06:44 pm:

Congratulations Gary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 07:08 pm:

Gaary,Good looking car. Can you tell me what stain/finish you used on firewall?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 07:38 pm:

beautiful Gary! Nicejob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 08:49 pm:

Hello Jack. On the firewall I did the following:

1. Minwax Pre-Stain Conditioner
2. Minwax Red Mahogany #225, allowing it to set 20 minutes, wiping it off, 220 grit sand, clean and re-apply for another 20 minutes. I really wanted to get the color deep.
3. Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane Clear Gloss. 3 coats with 600 grit sanding and cleaning with an almost dry rag with paint thinner to remove all residual sanding residue.
4. Minwax Paste Finishing Wax applied with the orbital and removed with clean cotton rags over the orbital pad

Finishing Step

The new and the old

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 09:05 pm:

Thanks Gary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 09:11 pm:

Here's a photo from early September. Just dropped the body and began assembling the doors and adding the side lamp brackets. I love the depth of the red mahogany. It's a very rich color.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 09:25 pm:

I like the pin strips that really set it off!! I also like the 5 window coupe !! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 09:34 pm:

REALLY, REALLY, NICE!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 10:11 pm:

Not only is the car super; your garage is impeccable !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 03:05 am:

Beautiful, simply beautiful.
Thank you for sharing the milestone!
Such a beautiful car.
Drive carefully, and do enjoy it! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 07:14 am:

What impresses me is not just the beautiful job you did on it, but also that you did it in only a year. I believe the appropriate word is awesome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 10:11 am:

I was able to complete the job in a year because once I decided on the project, I used two great shops:
1. J & M Machine shop in Mass. I shipped the original engine to them and they did a PERFECT job rebuilding, balancing and assembling the motor. I would highly recommend their shop. She starts on magneto on the first pull and runs strong and smooth.

2. Stutzman's Wheel shop in Baltic OH. The wheels came back nicer than some furniture I've seen.

While they were out, I stripped the frame, had every frame member powder-coated "mirror black", even the underside of the fenders, running boards and splash shield. Restored every piece of wood in the body and every sub-component was restored and stored in a spare bedroom.
The Frame went back together late November, 2014. Then it was waiting on the paint shop, which was a 5-month wait so it would have been done even faster. Just stay organized, and try to do something every day, no matter how small.

Here's the link to the chassis build:

https://youtu.be/aGHqjDkAAiQ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 08:10 am:

Gary:

"Restored every piece of wood in the body and every sub-component was restored and stored in a spare bedroom." ....... at least you didn't use the kitchen table as most of us.....LOL> !!!

Great achievement ! Enjoy.

Bob Jablonski

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Torchia on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 04:43 pm:

Great project. So happy to lend a hand! Nice Job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 08:41 pm:

Gary,

Beautiful workmanship! And I suspect that car will always have a special place in your son's heart. The cars are great and the relationships they help forge can be even greater.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 10:02 pm:

In addition to all the great Model T tours, there will be several HCCA tours next year that are a lot of fun. BBC will be in Strasburg, PA in May. The North Jersey and Southern Ontario regions will tour in Canada near Georgian Bay. The Hershey hangover will happen again on the Sunday and Monday after Hershey. C'mon out and play!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration