True fire ignition

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: True fire ignition
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john tattersall on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 06:20 pm:

has anyone ever had a problem with a true fire ? car started great this morning , had it flat bedded home. I seem to have very low spark, turned over fine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 07:13 pm:

I'm not sure what you are describing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 07:31 pm:

John..my '20 came with it when I bought it 3 yrs. ago. Generally, no problems. BUT...it does seem to be very touchy about dirty connections, and especially if they get damp, say when your radiator overflow tube becomes dislodged and starts spraying water all over the firewall! Happened to me last year. Cleaned everything up and worked fine again. It also needs nothing less than 5 volts of battery in order to work properly.

Last week the car started running real crappy, so of course I was blaming the Tru-Fire. Turned out to be mostly some crap in the carb where the lean/rich needle works. Also decided it was time to rebuild the coil box, as this one was really really deteriorating. So put in a Fun Projects rebuild kit. Now it's running top notch again. So could've been a combination, could've just been the carb. My point is, I guess, check 'em both, unless you've had the plug(s) out and visually observed a spark issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 07:33 pm:

no problems when I had mine, but I did break it once when I did something I cannot remember - In other words, you can burn up if you deviate the way you normally run or control the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 08:45 pm:

I am running 3 systems presently. The only issue I have had was in my 1912's. The wooden coil box was the issue. The back board was arcing across from the main (battery) input terminal to the #1 cylinder coil terminal. The arcing actually burned a path in the back wall of the coil box.

I easily solved the problem by gluing thick rubberized gasket paper in between verticle spark plug and coil terminals for each cylinder.

Easy fix problem solved. Since have run hundreds of miles with no problems. The way the trufire system is wired, most of the time I get free starts just by setting the spark opening the throttle a few notches and turning the switch on.

I can not say enough positive things about the trufire. I have no connection or financial interest with trufire.

just sayin.

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 03:37 pm:

I have been them for years. Never had a problem with them. I currently have them in four cars. Love them. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john tattersall on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 06:00 pm:

I think I found the problem. a bad ground connection. Mounted to the fire wall all painted with a small spot of bare metal. Ran a new ground to the frame and started right up! My coupe came with the true fire and has given no problems for 5 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john tattersall on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 06:03 pm:

I also want to thank everyone

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration