Bigger drivers door

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Bigger drivers door
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 10:57 pm:

I had never tried getting in this 26 touring before. Then I added the new warford trans. The other day I went to climb in. With top up that was imposable . I`ve even got a fat boy steering wheel, still no entry, I went to the passenger side with the warford shifter. I think I would be better off lowering the top and climbing over the windshield. Any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Findlay on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 11:09 pm:

You made have to trade it for an early T touring. My 11 has lots of room to get in. No doors help!
Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 11:32 pm:

I have a 26 sedan, getting in it is no problem. I even moved the ruskell shifter by the parking brake. Push come to shove I might put the warford in the sedan, and put ruskell in the touring. Or Or??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 02:38 am:

Use the passenger side door. It is the only practical solution.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 07:41 am:

My 27 Roadster the passenger door was almost worn out when I got it. The drivers door was in almost pristine condition. I tried to get in the driver's door one time since then I always use the passenger door. I made new pins for the passenger door and reamed the hinges and applied anti-seize as I installed the new pins works good now. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 08:43 am:

I think I`ll cute the shifter down about 6in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 10:14 am:

Rick, you should try getting into a '24-'27 TT C-cab...or at least driving it.
What does the Warford shifter have to do with it...it is in the center?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 10:46 am:

Rick, the issue is the Improved Car touring models have a fixed seat. No way to move it to the rear at all. So what you have, is what you have. I have a Ruckstell shifter in mine I have to jockey my bulk around as well. My '26 Tudor has a larger door, but the seat can be moved back some to make getting in a LITTLE easier. Still, neither car is really all that comfortable to drive compared with early models that have more generous leg room and higher seats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince Madras, Oregon on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 11:10 am:

Adjust the Ruckstell shifter so it is back almost to the seat in low and then put it in low when you park it and you should be able to get in and out with out any problem. At least it works for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 11:33 am:

Get a newer more flexible and smaller body! :-) :-)
That is a Model A Phaeton which has larger driver door and the brake is moved to the center.

My way of entering a 26 Roadster or Touring is either from the passenger side or stepping on the running board and put the right leg in to the right of the brake lever and swinging my butt over the post with the right thigh under the steering wheel while bringing my left foot around the brake lever. However I have quite short legs for my height, so it might not work for someone with longer legs or a larger abdomen.

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 03:59 pm:

I`M 6FT. TALL, my legs don`t want to fold around the warford shifter very easy. These cars were ment for small people. Thanks All.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 04:16 pm:

Rick,
What is the issue with the Warford...it is in the center and you are entering from the driver's side. So what, I am 6" tall too..and the brake lever is more of an issue. I have a Ruckstell in the center too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince Madras, Oregon on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 04:23 pm:

John at 6 inches tall how do you reach the pedals?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 06:24 pm:

I have a 26 roadster and a 26 touring with a Ruckstell. The main reason I shortened the shift levers is that when I push into high gear I hit the ignition key. I cut it just short enough for my hand to clear the bottom of the dash when I shift. It is also short enough that I can lift my leg right over it when I get in and out. The 22 roadster has more room and I can use the standard Ruckstell shift lever.

I don't know whether the Warford shift lever can be shortened, but it is something to consider.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 07:25 pm:

I went out and tried the fat boy steering wheel in different angles. I think I found the right angle to inter. Plus pay a little more attention in weight watchers. Thanks guys!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 09:19 pm:

Dennis,
Oops...spell check

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 10:32 am:

It is possible to get into my '27 touring through the driver's side door with the parking brake released, but it is a heck of a lot easier to get in the passenger's side door. My previous T experience is with two different '24 touring cars, so getting in the passenger's side seems perfectly normal to me. I think that the major reason for adding the driver's side front door was so that Ford could advertise it as a true four-door. It does make steering column and brake lever service easier.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration