When winch loading a car backwards

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: When winch loading a car backwards
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 02:11 pm:

Where do you attach the straps or what ever when loading a car on a trailer like a coupe, backwards?
With all of the possibilities of bending an axle, where is the best place to attach the hook or strap, not to cause damage to the rear end?
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 02:23 pm:

I use a nylon strap and wrap it around the top of the rear spring (where the spring pak goes into the frame) this puts the load on the frame and not the axle :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 02:44 pm:

I wrap a strap around the axle next to the pumpkin as it is a rolling load there is very little force applied, if no wheels and you are dragging it then whatever works, I have a chart that shows the force applied on rolling loads but don't know where I put it.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 03:11 pm:

Wasn't there some discussion a few months ago saying that jacking a car at the pumpkin won't bend the axle housing and that it was just a myth?

I agree with Rick. Not a lot of force involved just rolling it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 03:38 pm:

I would be more concerned about the force on the front wishbone ball
Especially if a front wheel gets hung on the ramp

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration