Is This Model A Or T?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Is This Model A Or T?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul jacobs on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 05:31 pm:

Is This spare tire carrier Model A Or T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 05:56 pm:

T with wood wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 06:02 pm:

The bracket which mounts to the back of a 26-27 coupe or roadster make for wire mount wheels. The Y shaped bracket bolted onto it is to adapt it for de-mountable 21" tires. This was standard equipment for a roadster or coupe with wood wheels and without the y bracket for the same car with wire spoke wheels.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 07:25 pm:

I believe some of the Y's fit 30 x 3-1/2" rims.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 08:43 pm:

Mike that is correct. I know of at least one that holds the 30 rim on the back of a early 26 coupe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 09:32 am:

I have the same mount on the rear of my '25 Racer - 30x3.5 demountables - not an easy "Y" to find - equipped on non-starter "Improved" cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 06:16 pm:

Here is one installed on a T.

Y

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 09:16 pm:

Also note that there is a 3 hole and a 4 hole version, where it bolts to the back of the car. All of the current knowledge I have so far is the 4 hole version was used Aug 1925 till aprox sometime early in 1926. then they changed to the 3 hole design till the end of production in 1927, probably as another cost and labor cutting change. The date of change is still vague, as I am still collecting dates of existing examples on well preserved cars. The latest date for a four hole version I have so far is Jan 5, 1926. The earliest date for a 3 hole is April 1926. So if the numbers keep holding true, the date of change may be between these two dates. I also hope to someday find a date of change for the part. If their is anyone who has not already sent me their dates and info about the spare tire mount on their car. And your car has not been built up from parts. Please send me your info. Maybe together we can slowly piece the Improved models story together. submitted with respect. Donnie Brown ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 10:04 pm:

What's the hole between the Y brackets for? It looks like a padlock hole or something. My 26 roadster has this same hole and I can't find anything about why it is there.

Travis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 09:36 am:

It allows you to padlock the nut so it can't be loosened.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 09:59 am:

I have a few n.o.s. 30 x 3 1/2" Y's in stock if anyone needs one
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 07:36 pm:

What's this hole for

?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration