Rusted, Busted and Beyond Hope.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Rusted, Busted and Beyond Hope.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 05:35 pm:

Ugly goes all the way to bare metal. Although kind of beautiful in their own way. I'm glad I have better parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 08:51 pm:

The two body brackets and the handbrake are useable. Please do not take to the scrap dealer. Remember that we are using today what we would have thrown away 20 years ago. The people 20 years from now may love to have those parts. The oil pan and rod may be a different story, other than just a display item or use on a yard art project. But, remember the doodlebug folks, they could probably give a second life to the rod or the wishbone socket on a doodlebug or stationary power plant. submitted with respect Donnie Brown ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

The hand brake lever looks to be less pitted than the 1 on my TT dump truck.I know I bought the sheet metal handle piece and rivet for it and used the old rod as a pattern and made a rod from round stock.Body brackets are also in good shape to some i have seen in use but they are usually available at swap meets reasonable

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 09:34 pm:

Richard - I agree totally with Donnie. Parts like that are pure gold to doodlebug guys like me; our projects are the last hope for marginal/past-marginal parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 10:01 pm:

If the brake handle is for sale, I need one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 10:27 pm:

In my opinion Model T folks are spoiled.
We have millions of parts available for our cars, some are original and others are made new today.
We throw away things that would be considered gold for other vehicles

I remember trashing the motor from my 41 ford when I put a 48 Mercury flat head in it.
I wish I had that old tired motor now.
I remember taking the 6 cyl 54 Chevy motor to junk yard when I put a 283 motor in the car.

Someday we will all be sorry for discarding parts that might have been repaired.
Now I understand why my grandfather never threw anything away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 01:18 am:

You should see some some of the side-lamp parts I am currently restoring to use. I could actually use some of the better parts I have, but they are later and less correct. I have restored and used a couple brake handles that bad or worse. I made my own sheet metal handle piece.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 04:05 am:

But i use parts like that for my cars. It's all i can get.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 04:05 am:

And they are glorious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 10:47 am:

Where's Steve Jelf, the frugal mechanic?
;O)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 10:51 am:

Not to worry. The hand brake lever is already on my car. I did find a better lever and link rod for it. The connecting rod is fine but I can't save the piston :o) If you know me, I don't throw anything away. I have a "Going to the Scrap Yard" pile that I pull parts out of quite often. I haven't tossed anything out yet. I'm glad so many of you agree with saving what we can. I just can't help but see some beauty in parts at this stage.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 11:34 am:

The brake lever and cross shaft had a cast "speed lever" cam. That was one reason to save it. I brazed plugs in the clevis holes and re-drilled them. .010 and .015 brass shim stock on each end took the play out of each side. The shaft had been badly bent and after straightening it, it was an inch too short. Some re-straightening make it work.

A reminder to oil the holes in your shaft brackets occasionally. (The square hole shown below.)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration