Looking for an Exhaust Pipe that Fits

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Looking for an Exhaust Pipe that Fits
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 09:49 pm:

Does anyone make an exhaust pipe that fits a Model T? In the picture below is what I think may be an original (on the bottom) compared to what you can purchase from a parts supplier (on the top). Before I go to one of our local muffler shop, I was going to check to be sure no one was making one already. The "repo's" I have do not even come close to meeting up with the exhaust manifold. If you DO get it to line up with the manifold, the other end of the exhaust pipe ends up a long ways from fitting the muffler. With this much misalignment, the Pack Nut only goes on part way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 09:58 pm:

I can't remember if I bought mine from Lang's, Snyder's or Mac's but, it was a perfect fit. It's probably one of those many items that has quietly improved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 10:05 pm:

Hi Vern
I do not know about suppliers but be careful at muffler shops.
Some of them can be a bit stupid because model T pipes are not the same as modern vehicles.
They will want to firmly attach the pipe to the muffler - not a slip fit- and use hangers and clamps everywhere.
If you can find one that will correct the bends nod length of what you need, go for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 10:11 pm:

Verne.
In Australia and no doubt other areas that are RHD we have issues with the fit of pipes due to the transmission pedals added to the mix!!!
In South Australia the club has set up a mock chassis, engine and muffler and made "the perfect fit pipe" that avoids pedals, fuel lines and starter buttons. Apparently, once made the pipe was then computer scanned or other process to be able to manufacture them over and over again to exacting dimensions and shape. I have fitted these to both of my T's and the fit is excellent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JD, Wichita, KS on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 10:56 pm:

I wonder if all the vendors get them made locally?
So some fit better than others.

I have a fairly new one you can try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 11:10 pm:

I have the SS pipe from Lang's and they fit like they should. I think they are made by Vern Campbell. There should be enough room to slide a playing card between the pipe and the hogshead.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 01:24 am:

I got one just like the top one I had bend it in several spots to make it work
Not sure but with my pack nut tights it's still loose nuts all the way up the the ads on ot the manifold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 02:11 am:

Don't the Aussie cars have the exhaust exiting the front of the car ? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 07:51 am:

I have not noticed an ad in the vendor catalogs that show an exhaust pipe with more than one bend in the first 18" of pipe. This is the reason I'm reluctant to purchase a new one. I'm guessing the two bends in this area are a clue to a better fit. JD - I'll take you up on the offer to try one of your pipes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 07:55 am:

Verne,

The ones from Lang's fit perfectly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 09:46 am:

I bought one from Macs and it fit fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 09:48 am:

I have been using Verne Campbell's pipes for years. When he passed away recently, I called Lang's to see whether they had some of those left in stock so I could get a few. Steve Lang told me that they are now making the pipes in-house.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 10:48 am:

I bought a 27 from Richard Wolf about 12 years ago. He had someone at a muffler shop custom bend a pipe to fit it. It is a work of art, clears the running board brackets, e brake shaft, and all very well. They also fitted an oval shaped muffler with a tail pipe to clear the axle. The really cool thing was the pipe was expanded to fit over the threads on the manifold and attach with a clamp. No nut to ever come loose. If this setup was mass produced and you saw one, we would prefer it over the Ford setup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 10:58 am:

The exhaust pipe with 2 bends is stainless steel and has 2 bends because one bend would dent the pipe.

That one costs more but fits perfect.

I had two large trees growing close together for years and putting the pipe that don't fit well between those two trees and bending it just a little more made it fit perfectly.

The other option is to tighten the exhaust nut first, then put a jack near the end of the pipe, add the muffler and jack it up a little to add the frame to muffler strap bolt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 11:20 am:

We are working on the late 21-27 version, but don't know when it will be done. The early pipes will be next, but when? If it could be done back then, why not now? Yes the new versions work, but are too far off for my liking. It would be nice for some tubing expert to take over on this project and do it like original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 11:51 am:

I bought 5 pipes several years ago to save shipping costs. I used the last one last week, I always have to cut a little off the end, always a different length. On the bright side, the cut of stub makes a perfect spacer for my funnel when I pour oil in the engine through the front plate filler hole. ;<{)

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 12:26 pm:

Mine is 101 years old.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 02:28 pm:

It is possible that your chassis has sagged in the middle or that the ears on your crankcase have sagged. The pipe which comes from Langs should fit correctly. If it doesn't fit, you can heat it up red hot in the area of the bend and gently bend it. Use something as a support similar to a tubing bender only larger to keep the pipe from flattening out. I have bent my own before and it was quite easy.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration