Rebuilding Door Latches?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Rebuilding Door Latches?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 11:42 pm:

Has anyone rebuilt the 1917 through 1927 open car door latches. It looks pretty simple to open them up but how do you re-seal them, and where do I get new springs?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 11:49 pm:

Fred, if you can send me a picture of your spring, I have a lot of different ones. I've rebuilt early locks but not later ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 11:50 pm:

I seem to remember some of the Model A springs fit that are available at Snyders. I know I had to replace ne on the coupe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Dupree on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 08:12 am:

Really simple to open them up, sandblast and repaint, then reseal them. The springs are simple coil springs that can be bought at your local hardware store. To reassemble, push the two tabs at the end of the spring holder bracket into the latch, then use a pair of pliers or c clamp to latch the remaining tab in place, then tack weld the tab to keep everything in place.

Ron Dupree

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 08:38 am:

Langs has a spring kit for the 26-27s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 09:45 am:

When disassembling the latches I carefully mounted the latches in a vise and used a chisel to move the braded tabs up in to a upright position. You don't have to remove the braded metal. There isn't much of the tab to straighten. Just be careful.
The latch can then be opened up to repair it.

Put the latch back together and rebrad the tab.

That's how I did it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

Here is a couple of pictures.

latch 1

latch 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 04:55 am:

And I used to take NOS latches to swap meets and could not get $5.00 for one??????/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 07:53 am:

If you have a Right Rear for a 25 Touring, I'll take one. Will need one when I cut-in the left front door. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 02:17 pm:

Fred when repairing the latches I have also found that sanding and smoothing the inside surfaces of the moving parts and where they slide makes a real difference on the action of the latches.

If you have an Ace hardware store in your area they have some springs that are pretty much identical to the ones that's used in the latch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 04:25 pm:

I do have a few good latches but without taking them apart how do I determine the spring sizes.

Does anyone know what the original spring sizes are?
I guess I could take apart a good latch and hope that the springs are not fatigued then measure those but I hate to mess with a good one.
Boy I wish I could have run into you Dan as I have looked for these for years and still have a hard time finding good ones.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration