Christchurch Swap Meet

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Christchurch Swap Meet
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Billing on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 01:02 am:

Attended this swap meet, held annually in Christchurch, New Zealand. Good line up of T's present; early one, eh? two handles!!
This one is a genuine racer with history, Roof head, etc, very trick, attracted much attention;

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Billing on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 01:08 am:

A few more of the racer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Billing on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 01:12 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Billing on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 01:16 am:

For comparison, check out the early Cadillac awaiting restoration in the swap meet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 01:16 am:

I had a great day there on Friday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Billing on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 01:42 am:

Yeah Kevin, I attended all three days, bought lots, very satisfied.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 10:59 am:

Wonderful pictures. The Speedster and Cadillac especially were fun to see.
Thanks for taking them.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 12:16 pm:

I like the Riley Elf left of the two lever T in the 1st pic :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 01:01 pm:

The interesting RHD 2 lever makes me think about this long thread with discussions whether there were any built by Ford? http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/239346.html?1323849406

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 02:09 am:

Neat cars, love that engine....
The RHD 2 lever has a later coil box.... Probably not 100% original but still nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 02:42 am:

Who owns the 2-Lever?
Any more photos of Complete Car?

-Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Billing on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 03:13 am:

These are the only other pix I have of the two handle car, sorry, dunno owner details.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Prideaux Margaret River West Oz on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 10:26 am:

What were the asking prices Brian?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 03:50 pm:

Great stuff! Looks like a lot of wonderful things for such a far corner of the world. And right in your back yard.
That two lever T is quite interesting.
W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 04:27 pm:

How do those pedals and levers work? That is which is the brake and the low? Which lever on the steering column is for gas and spark control? Looks like a person from the U.S.A. would have to learn to drive a T all over again?
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 06:52 pm:

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong Norm, but all is the same except the lever is for reverse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 05:33 am:

This one is likely a made up car (referring to the analysis by Mark Herdman in the linked thread) but generally, RHD T's has the throttle lever on the left, spark lever on the right and the pedals in the same order as LHD Model T's.
Two lever T's has the reverse lever on the inside of the hand brake and it's the reverse lever that controls neutral.
Soon after production began problems with this setup became obvious - you can't both steer and control the throttle very well in reverse with just one hand, so the regular three pedal system with the neutral in the hand brake was implemented as soon as was practically possible given the orders for material already delivered from outside suppliers. When the new design was running at approximately #800, I think a retrofit package was offered for the earlier cars - but not all were changed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wayne tomlins on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 01:04 am:

I too saw this 2 lever T at McLeans Island Swap Meet. Cant. New Zealand last weekend. I do not know enough about early T's but know most brass cars are made up from bits & pieces, after all they are over 100years old now.
Can any of you Gentlemen say whether any original 2 lever RHD cars exist anywhere in the world?
Wayne.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 01:10 am:

Was this car at the Swap Meet actually for sale or just on display?? I was thinking that it maybe Tom Stevens car which to my knowledge is at about that stage of restoration and unlikely for sale

Alan in Western Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 03:25 am:

That is Tom Stephen's car. The coilbox wasn't ready so a temporary unit was in place for the day. It is a fresh restoration and not for sale, unlike the Cadillac which was $20,000nz.

I think this was the car sold in NZ on ebay. It had a tacky body which Tom was selling a couple of years ago at the swap meet. Looked like an original car when I bid on it. It was discussed on this forum at the time. Tom has made a wonderful job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 03:29 am:

The Cadillac was a tow truck and has two Cadillac gearboxes, one behind the other. Owner is Brian Walker in Dunedin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark herdman on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 04:14 am:

I think Tom has done an excellent job on the car in a very short period of time. Looks really good! Well done!

Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 05:20 pm:

I'll probably never get to Australia or New Zealand, but both are on my bucket list.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration