Markings on Low Heads

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Markings on Low Heads
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 01:53 am:

I have three low heads and during the course of advertising them we noticed numbers near the rear of the heads. One buyer suggested it was the year and month, but they are all low heads, so that cannot be correct.

This one is 1 13

This one 3 26

This one also 3 26

Does anyone have any idea what these numbers mean?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 02:38 am:

Tony, Iam sure it is the MONTH and DAY. 3rd month 26 day. The screw holds the tab for month and the other changes every day. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 04:01 am:

What Scott O says is what I have heard from people I trust also. I don't know why they didn't also put the year on them? But my understanding is that such markings were mostly done to track the various molds used to cast the heads so that if something began to produce defectives, the workers could back-track to the errant mold or process and prevent further waste. It may simply have not been necessary to track heads back much more than a month or two.
W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 07:39 am:

What Wayne and Scott said. Month, day, and sometimes mold number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 03:42 pm:

Sometimes I think I know what I am talking about? But Royce is one of the people that I believe what he says.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration