Original LICENSE PLATES

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Original LICENSE PLATES
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony Ventrice on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 10:49 am:

HI, anyone know who does a good job repainting original New York 1922 Plates? Please help me locate. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 11:11 am:

Just Google "License plate restoration", there are plenty of places that will do it. Sadly, my home state of Massachusetts is (as far as I know) is the only state that will not allow YOM plates to be restored, retouched, or messed with in any way. I have been trying to get an explanation for this from my legislators, the Mass DMV, the police, or anyone who might know why. Nobody seems to know, and a bill filed to allow plate restoration failed to pass a couple of years ago. I don't get it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 11:34 am:

Google "Dan Landino"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 12:00 pm:

John -

Massachusetts could not figure out a way to tax the restoration process so they banned it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 12:25 pm:

As Mel Gibson once said, "Everything's illegal in Massachusetts"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 12:45 pm:

I believe NY also prohibits restored plates. No surprise there as they can't seem to get anything right in NY that does not involve raising revenue. Fortunately, they are not smart enough to figure out that you can restore the plates after they approve them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 01:01 pm:

Florida prohibits restored plates too :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 09:01 pm:

My dad is a longtime collector of early Minnesota license plates but doesn't restore plates unless they are something rare/special but in bad condition.

If the background color is an easy match (such as black) or a color that he can buy in a spray can off the shelf, he restores the plate himself and then has a fellow who is a sign painter/pin striper do the lettering.

This is the genuine plate #1 for 1918-19-20. My dad did the black - had a sign painter do the lettering:

Most recent plate - the back ground was Rustoleum that was a very good match to the original paint. Same procedure - my dad restored the plate and had a sign painter/pin striper do the black lettering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 09:59 pm:

Calif also bans restored plates. The YOM places on my 28 A look fantastic and the DMV inspector that looked at them remarked on their condition and all I said was that I was lucky to find them in that condition. Their condition when I got them?? Full restored :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 12:59 am:

Mister Bumble's observation that "the law is a ass" would certainly apply to the provision that plates may not be restored. As Bill's story demonstrates, how would anyone know?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 01:01 am:

By the way, here's another answer to Tony's question: http://www.finishyourplates.com/.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 06:17 pm:

Dwayne Wells here in Michigan does a great job.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration