Best way to test generator output

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Best way to test generator output
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 11:47 am:

Car is running fine.
New battery.
Regan VR, not a cutout.
New generator.

If you turn on the lights you see a discharge on the ammeter. You might see a charge on the ammeter for a few seconds when the car first starts, and then it just sits on '0'. I am assuming the battery does not need to be charged since it is brand new. Do I put leads on the battery and see if the voltage is above 6? How much above 6?

Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 11:53 am:

That is how the electronic regulator works Dave. It only charges as needed. The instructions are on the internet and they explain its operation.

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 11:58 am:

Dave, have you followed the installation guide to the letter? If I recall right, BEFORE you install the VR, you should adjust the 3rd brush to give a charge of a few amps when the lights are on. Then you install the VR and you will see 1-2 amps charge a couple of minuttes after start and the same when you switch on the lights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 12:17 pm:

http://www.funprojects.com/techinfo.aspx

Select 5055R from the dropdown then click on View Document.

Your initial setting may be incorrect if you see a discharge with the lights on. However, this depends on what "lights" you are using and the engine speed. Review the document above for setting up a generator for use with a VR.

Check your battery with the engine off. If it reads 6v, it's discharged. A fully charged 6v battery should read about 6.3 to 6.4 volts. With the engine running at fast idle, voltage at the generator post should be above 7v.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 05:58 pm:

I did not install the generator and VR. Another person did, but I will check the voltage at the battery posts with the engine on and off.

Thank you for your input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 01:06 am:

I agree with Ken but I should point out that the voltage on the generator post cannot be measured with either a digital or analog volt meter once the VR starts to regulate. It is just that the typical volt meter cannot give you a meaningful reading. I do agree though that you can watch the DC voltage on the VR OUTPUT terminal while you adjust the speed of the motor from slow idle to faster speeds and you will see the DC voltage climb up to about 7V and then stop at that point as you further increase the RPM. This assumes the 3rd brush has been set properly to a wee bit of charge at high RPM with the lights on. Most people get in trouble by not following the instructions and for reasons I don't understand they just don't follow the instructions and that is where the problems seem to happen. Check the discharge of the lights with engine shut off and then start the motor and rev the engine and see what the charge (or discharge) rate is to determine where the third brush is set. If you set the rate higher than 100 watts you will burn up the generator in a short time. If you have the charge rate too low you may have a very short life for your new battery. Why not just read and follow the instructions that came with the VR? It only takes a few minutes to verify that all is correct. One thing that often screws things up is the use of a distributor that is then a significant load on the charging system that together with the lights presents more than 100 watts of load to the generator.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration