The New Home of #220

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: The New Home of #220
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Charvet on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 02:19 pm:

I'm happy to announce that 1909 Ford Model T #220 will be returning to its birthplace: the Ford Piquette Avenue Plant Museum in Detroit.

Jerry VanOoteghem reached out to the new anonymous owner and has made arrangements with her for the car to be put on long term loan to the museum.

The Lau Family, who have been custodians of #220 since 1996 are pleased to know that this legendary car will be displayed and seen by the public in the place where it was "born" 107 years ago.

#220 should be on display by the Spring of 2016. For details about the museum, go to: www.fordpiquetteavenueplant.org

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 02:30 pm:

David, great news.
Jerry, thank you for facilitating the move. All good news for early Ford enthusiasts.

David, would you (or Jerry) please post this to the Early Ford Registry site?

Thanks again guys!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 02:36 pm:

Very appreciative to hear of this generous effort, and especially grateful to hear the Piquette Museum was selected for this unique opportunity.
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 02:44 pm:

Extremely nice act of the new owner!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 02:57 pm:

Good News!
Thank You Gerry!!!

-Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 03:25 pm:

Wonderful! Fantastic!
And thank you for the news.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 04:13 pm:

Well, at least it was able to stay here in the US.
Is it static display or will it be operable?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 04:55 pm:

Mack,

Because it was sold as a "running car", it will be run and driven briefly before it goes into the museum. After that, it most likely will be run only on rare occasions. Since it's restoration, I think it's been driven about 9 miles.

All,

I appreciate your thanks for my small part in this. Really though, all the gratitude needs to go to the new owner, to whom I will communicate your appreciation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 04:59 pm:

It takes a special person to spend $95,000 and then send it home for all to see. There could be no better place for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 05:05 pm:

Rob,

Posted on EFR, as you suggested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Bracknell United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 05:58 pm:

I think every one of us would like to have our thanks passed on to the owner. It will be some while before I get back to Piquette but I am happy to know such a fine early car is on display.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 08:43 pm:

Yes, please pass on a big thank you to the new owner and thank you also for all your help!

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David M. Coleman - Grand Marais, MN on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 10:02 pm:

Fabulous news!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 12:07 am:

Cool. I will have to make another trip to Detroit next year. Gives me a chance to visit with the brother and sister in law anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 12:22 am:

Kudos to the new owner. _What a classy gesture!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 02:02 am:

Thanks David for the news and thanks to Jerry for your efforts. It's very fitting that 220 should end up back there. I'm sure she will enjoy her stay!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 03:17 am:

How cool is that! Well done by all that were involved!!!! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 08:32 am:

Thank you to the lucky new owners of such a legacy. It is truly generous of them to "giver her up" to put her on loan in order for so many to be able to see her firsthand. And lucky those who do get to drive her occasionally!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 09:54 am:

Just a thought but maybe 220 could attend the OCF for one day?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 10:15 am:

I'm a little late to the party (on our club's Fall Tour) but want to say that's wonderful news. What a classy lady to loan the car to the Piquette plant so thousands of people can see it and learn from it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 01:27 pm:

I think an admirable goal for the club(s) would be to try to arrange a reunion of all the known existing 2 lever cars at some future date and place. Perhaps a MTFCA / MTFCI joint national meeting in 2018?

Centerville, Indiana is a pretty good place for that sort of thing, along with a swap meet of course.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Matheny on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 03:10 pm:

Thanks to all concerned, wonderful news.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Charvet on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 05:43 pm:

#220 left Portland this morning to head "home" to Piquette Avenue in Detroit.
A few photos of the departure:

Ready to go.

Fred Lau's brother, Alan, was there for the farewell.

Loading up.

Heading home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 12:57 am:

The buyer .... was this an investment that they feel would be just as well kept
in a museum as kept in their own climate controlled warehouse ????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Charvet on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 01:35 am:

In speaking with the buyer, I believe they feel the car should be shared and the Piquette Avenue Museum is the perfect location and helps tie together the significance of the car and the building with the Ford story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 10:21 am:

It sounds to me like the buyer truly respects the car, recognizes its significance, and loves this hobby enough to share the car with an organization that will ensure it is admired by many for its place in history.

To suggest it's just an "investment" is a slap in the face to the generosity of this person's kind act.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 10:23 am:

I would certainly agree. I just don't find $95K under the cushions of my couch that
often to so whimsically throw it around on supplying others with nice display cars ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 10:36 am:

When you think about it, all it would have taken is one mouse click and that car could have have been on it's way to decorating the entrance way of some temple in Peking China. The red with brass trim would have been a perfect fit. Actually, it's three mouse clicks, but you know what I mean.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 02:50 pm:

Hmm. I guess the buyer wasn't that " anonymous" after all

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 04:58 pm:

Thank you for the pics and update. A remarkable car on it's way to a remarkable place.

A related side note, the Early Ford Registry has an ongoing Model N project underway. When completed, the N project will have "final assembly" completed at Piquette, making it the "last Model N built at Piquette." It seems fitting that one of the first Model T will be present when that happens. Jerry Van has also been instrumental with the EFR Model N project.

Looks like Piquette has a lot going on.....

(Message edited by Rob on October 16, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 05:42 pm:

I have to ask the question.
Does anyone know how many 2 lever T's are known to exist?
I would think there would be some type of registry for the 2 lever cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 06:19 pm:

About 32 two lever Model T's have been documented in the past 50 years. Some on the list have not been seen in recent times and their whereabouts are unknown, so we hope they exist still.

Others are just an unrestored chassis, or an engine block, or something in between. Some of the restored ones do not contain many (or even any) original parts. Still it would be great to see how many could get together in one place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 08:52 pm:

Wiiliam V.

What do you mean, "...I guess the buyer wasn't that " anonymous" after all"?

Do you know who it is?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 09:03 pm:

No, "I" do not....I'm just curious. How can the person be anonymous and already people know who bought it? Just asking....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 09:08 pm:

Let me rephrase that....I guess my question really is not about this particular car but early cars in general....like, what's the reason their ownership is such an X-file...all secretive and hush-hush, some clandestine club that we the mass horde of the great unwashed cannot be privy to, not that I would ever be able to afford one even if I sold every body part I had.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

William,
Human Body parts or Car Body parts??
:-)
I imagine some owners don't want it known what resides in the domicile, for safety reasons. I know one toy train collector who is of that opinion.
Hmm, I never heard of (or, if I did, I forgot!) the EFR Model N project, that sounds very interesting! Please share more!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 09:37 pm:

I agree with David. Not everybody wants everyone to know everything of what is going on in their life. Part of the problem I believe with todays world (to much sharing of personal info).

Lets face it, this was a high profile sale. Two things usually happen with those, they either show it off immediately or the quietly take their prize and go off in a corner. If the person wishes to remain anonymous, that is their choice, and it is up to the people that do know to keep that wish, out of respect.

I am very happy with the generous donation of the vehicle to the museum, because I for one after spending that much to buy it, would want to hang onto it for a while---like years. So Thank You to the new owner, whom ever you are, for your generosity, and we are glad it went to an appreciative person.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 10:28 pm:

Bring me up to speed ... Piquette ? Now a museum ? Run/owned by whom ?
What's the story ? I know the old history, just not what the current situation is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 10:31 pm:

Burger,

http://www.fordpiquetteavenueplant.org/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 10:36 pm:

William,

Your comments do not deserve an answer but, by their very nature, explain why the owner wishes to be anonymous.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 11:13 pm:

To whoever is/was involved i say Thank You for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 11:17 pm:

Thanks Jerry. That is pretty neat that the moon and stars can be so perfectly aligned like this.
So often, many of the elements are destroyed before historical appreciation occurs. I shall take
the TT to work tomorrow just to share in the spirit ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 02:08 am:

William, I own a 2 lever ford and have owned 3 other 2 lever cars or projects over the years. I don't know of any secret club or clandestine organization. Please enlighten me as I might want to join! If you want to know who owns any particular car, I'd be happy to tell you, except for 220. I don't know who bought it and they have every right to remain anonymous.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 02:33 am:

William,

I think I see what you originally meant.

I haul all kinds of cars for all kinds of folks.

The saddest thing to see is a car hidden away from the public view in a private collection (just my humble opinion).

I try to take images wherever & whenever I care to share with folks who do not get to see what I am fortunate to view from time to time.

In this particular case folks will get to see this particular T.

At the end of the day - that is all that matters.

Caretakers come & go - cars endure.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 02:46 am:

Jerry,

Very interesting website.

I did not know the " Experimental Room " where the T was developed was staffed by people in their 20's with exception of Henry who turned 44 in 1907.

I must visit this plant ...

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 02:51 am:

Piquette and the OCF just moved up a notch on my bucket list. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 07:26 am:

I hope the new owner isn't stubborn like me. If I saw all of this whining over a good deed, just because I didn't want credit for it, I'd lock the car in a shed and let the mice and mildew have fun with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Balough on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 07:39 am:

Is this the oldest Model T in existence ? It would be nice to know the number of two lever "T"s that exist, and their serial numbers. I hope to see the car soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 08:44 am:

Chad,

I don't believe this car was donated, but simply on loan to the museum for a time. The owner could then remove the car for their personal use and perhaps return the car for display again. On loan is the more appropriate term, I think.

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 09:05 am:

Willis,

Correct, it will be loaned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 10:42 am:

Bruce,

Again:
About 32 two lever Model T's have been documented in the past 50 years. Some on the list have not been seen in recent times and their whereabouts are unknown, so we hope they exist still.

Others are just an unrestored chassis, or an engine block, or something in between. Some of the restored ones do not contain many (or even any) original parts. Still it would be great to see how many could get together in one place.

The serial numbers are kept in a registry that is not public as the owners may or may not want people to know who they are. A serial number "2" exists but the engine is a reproduction as is most of the rest of the car.

Most of the 2 lever cars are reconstructions / assemblages of parts that were not originally together on the assembly line in 1908 / 1909. 220 is a car that was mostly all there, the back half of the body and top bows / sockets / irons being the main parts replaced. There are a couple cars that are much more complete. Again it is not my job to say which ones are best or worst.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Hagen on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 02:54 pm:

Can we donate money and have it stay there permanently? Is that an option?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 10:47 am:

Gary,

It will stay there as long as the current owner remains "permanent" and/or as long as Piquette wants it there.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration