"Rickenbacker" - as part of my shop's 'Car Collage'.....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: "Rickenbacker" - as part of my shop's 'Car Collage'.....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay's a suburb!) on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 03:22 pm:

From Wikipedia, about 35,000 'Rickenbacker' automobiles were built from 1922-27. I believe this acid-etched brass plate is from one of them. Can anyone help to further identify 'what' it is?
Some history: http://www.rickenbackermotors.com/hrm/hrm.html
Thanks.
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 03:45 pm:

I can't help you Marv. I did see a differential in the scrap yard with the Stars and Stripes Top Hat logo stamped in the cover plate years ago. I don't know why I didn't pick it up. There was a Rickenbacker car on a VMCCA Tour many years ago.

Always fun to see that name.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 04:23 pm:

There was a Rickenbacker at the Hershey car show this year:

pic01

pic02

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay's a suburb!) on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 05:07 pm:

Thanks, Mark.
It all makes for some interesting reading. While trying to find more information, I did come across a site to share. Their reference to 'restoring wood' was of particular interest. The link is below.
Marv

http://www.rickenbackermotors.com/index.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Trevan - Australia on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 05:10 pm:

There is one laying DEAD and for sale in my town in Australia..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 08:17 pm:

This Rickenbacker probably met an untimely end and was sold by the Insurance Company to the scrap man.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 08:43 pm:

I thought we were going to talk about the guitars. Beautiful instruments.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 10:03 pm:

In the mid-80's, I shared a duplex with my landlord. A friend of his that
often visited was a descendant of Eddie Rickenbacker and had one of
the cars. For the life of me, I cannot remember what body type it was !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 05:47 am:

My radiator shroud seems to have been nickeled. The emblem is soldered in place. Too big shroud for a T speedster and no known survivors here, might stay as a wall hanger..

G

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 08:56 am:

There was at least one at Old Car Festival too. We saw it loaded on a truck headed down Michigan Ave. Saturday evening our our way to the Zac Brown concert that night. Beautiful car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay's a suburb!) on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 12:11 pm:

I've emailed the contacts from the Rickenbacker site to try learning more, however they haven't been updated since 2004. The brass plate surely has a story with it? Thanks for all the enlightening of the 'UN-knowledged'!
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wayne tomlins on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 12:25 am:

There is a Rickenbacher 6 Roadster here in Canterbury, New Zealand which I have not seen for many years but is still around. It had the Uncle Sams hat & ring painted on the rear tire cover.
I recall it had an old time hand painted 'maroon & black paint scheme & you could not see any brush lines.
I have also owned 2 Rickenbacher guitars in my playing days which were superb crafted & unique sounding American made instruements. The guitars were from the company owned by Adolfo Rickenbacher who was a relative of the WW1 Ace, Eddie Rickenbacher.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 12:43 am:

What a coincidence, I was at hershey and the guy across from us was representing the Rickenbacher club. He told me there are about 110 cars in the club. He gave me a poster from one of their events.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 12:52 pm:

I don't know if I should put this out there, but there is a Rickenbacker emblem on t-bay now for $1100.00 - and if you search completed there is another one like it that sold for that amount!

Puts some perspective there...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roland Klix on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 07:29 pm:

I have the answer to your question. This brass plaque was located on the right side of the firewall on 1926 8-cyl Rickenbacker cars, and possibly on the 6-cyl cars as well. Do not know if it was used in 1927. It's a beautiful piece.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay's a suburb!) on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 08:26 pm:

Awesome information! Thanks to everyone!!
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 08:45 pm:

"I don't know if I should put this out there, but there is a Rickenbacker
emblem on t-bay now for $1100.00 - and if you search completed there
is another one like it that sold for that amount!

Puts some perspective there..."

=====================================================

Model T guys who don't do anything but T's don't know how good they
have got it.

Need a piece of rear quarter trim for your 58 DeSoto 2-door ? Plan on
waiting forever to find one and paying cubic piles of green rectangles IF
you do, OR .... you can have one made ! Another cubic dollar proposition.

There is economy in numbers and even more in simplicity. T's qualify for
both. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay's a suburb!) on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 01:08 am:

Yeah, Burger... I noticed Mark's input with his post. I did talk to a representative from the Rickenbacker Club. Still have no real idea if it's too valuable to be hanging on the wall out in my shop. But recognizing the rarity of the cars themselves, it would also be nice to know that I was able to help someone to complete a final piece of their puzzle... I may not be a 'purist' myself, but I certainly respect what they do. When I've sold T parts, I try finding the part in the catalogs, and then price at about half considering condition. Unfortunately, there is NO Rickenbacker catalog.... I like to sleep at night, but also don't wish for hemorrhoids to be reamed either. Maybe I should do Ebay with a reserve and see what happens?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration