Oil cap

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Oil cap
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jon pederson, Minneapolis,MN on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 04:04 pm:

Was there a gasket that keeps the cap tight and the dirt out? Mine is loose, hate to have it fall out.
Also, I'm not using the control rod that goes through the valve cover, any good ideas for plugging up the hole so the dirt stays out? I don't want to just stick a cork in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 04:24 pm:

The oil cap should be a press fit. You can press it in with your hand but it won't rattle loose. The good ones have a fine screen to keep larger dirt particles out. There is some "blow by" gas from the rings and the valve guides. That gas needs a way out. If you plug up all the holes, it will force oil out the U joint, the front seal or any other opening. The car needs those openings for a "breather".

You can bend the part which fits down into the timing gear cover to make it tighter so it won't fall out.

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 04:47 pm:

Jon,

The body of the cap is a rolled piece of steel with a split down one side. Take a small plier and bend out one bottom corner adjacent to the split. In other words, put a little "dog ear" on it, so it protrudes enough to push against the oil fill hole. This will keep it tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 05:21 pm:

My oil cap disappeared somehow. _I raised the hood, as always, to turn off the fuel after parking the car in my garage, and lo and behold; the cap was gone. _So I got another one from Lang's. _This one seems to fit tighter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Bergmann Sydney - Australia on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 07:46 pm:

Jon - I went thru this exercise a few years ago.
You need to seal both sides of the block. To seal the horn side of the block I inserted a threaded bolt from inside the valve chamber to the horn side. (It may have been a hook bolt) A rectangular soft washer with some sort of gasket under, can be tightened by the nut and will do the trick for that side. Then, while the valve cover is off, you can plug that hole using the same method or weld or use a later cover without the hole. 2 oil weep holes eliminated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 08:38 pm:

You will loose a lot of oil in a short time if the cap falls out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 08:40 pm:

I don't know how you could lose the oil cap. The engine pans catch it and it can't get out. I went 100 miles on tour with the oil cap rolling around in the engine pan once after adding oil. Never lost the cap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 02:31 pm:

I solder a chain to my brass oil caps, and wrap the chain around the timing gear bolt. They are too valuable to be decorating the side of a road. Royce is correct on engine pans, but mine are hanging on the wall! As far as no throttle rod going through the block, just find a vaporizer cover. They don't have holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 08:01 pm:

What I did for the speedster. Furnace chain keeps it a bit period relevant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 09:19 pm:

Never had this problem with the repro cap. I would force it over a socket slightly larger than the oil inlet to spread out the sheet metal ring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 05:33 am:

Royce, a lot of T's don't have the engine pans, mine included. I hit a big chuck hole once that I didn't see until it was to late. Fortunately, the cap landed on the generator. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 11:46 am:

Gary, you have the right idea, but I solder mine to the INSIDE of the cap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 09:06 pm:

Just take some pliers and wowweyy the inner part that slides in just a snug fit

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration