1926/1927 coupe windshield garnish question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1926/1927 coupe windshield garnish question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard l. Weatherbee on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 04:46 pm:

I have a 26 coupe and my question is this considered the garnish or is there another piece that goes over this one. My windshield frame lacks a half inch of touching the car body at the top and trying to decide if the problem is the hinge, a missing part, or to all the coupe stick out like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 07:17 pm:

Richard, if I understand the question correctly then the answer is yes. The picture is difficult to see just what you are referring too. But that is the inside windshield trim. The upholstery windlass also has to go under that same piece before it is permanently mounted. Hope this helps, if I'm way off maybe you could give more detail of what you are questioning. And also know that a piece of wood goes under the dash on top of the cowl as a filler and can be adjusted up and down by the thickness you need for a proper fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard l. Weatherbee on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 07:43 pm:

Thanks Don, Yes I was referring to the piece that bolts to the inside windshield post and has the bolt sticking out for the tilt arm to bolt to. I don't have any 26/27's around me to compare to so I wasn't sure. Some of the hardware had been sold off the car before I got it and this is my first model T so it has been a steep learning curve at times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 07:49 pm:

Richard, this is how it is on my 27 coupe. Don't know if the 26 mounts the same.hope these pictures help. Harvtrimtrimtrim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 08:26 pm:

Harvey has some good pictures which was something I didn't of the 26 coupe I restored. Glad to help out and don't be shy to keep the questions coming. I loved the coupe and they are very fun to drive...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard l. Weatherbee on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 09:43 pm:

Thanks Harv pictures always help. It is interesting how the top of your windshield frame is tapered in to match to the body. Mine is flat all the way around. Yet all the after market frames say "fits the 26/27". Is yours a late model 27. Also I haven't added the rubber weather strip to the frame but you can see how the top of the frame sticks out from the body. The swing arm bolts in perfectly.
20151014_192723_resized_1.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 10:31 pm:

Richard, Just looking at your picture I don't think your frame is correct. It should fit flat all the way around in order to seal against the body. My coupe is a very late 27. Harv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 01:01 am:

Richard, something is wrong. the windshield frame should fit perfectly flat against the windshield pillars and not have the gap that yours does toward the top of the pillars and across the top. It looks like you've got a repo aluminum frame. Could the holes in the hinge be misdrilled? also two types of hinges were used . At first, a piano type hinge and later an interlocking hinge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard l. Weatherbee on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 08:48 am:

The alum hinge is not pre drilled, and at this point is held in place by masking tape. I think the dimensions of the hinge is the problem. I got the parts from chaffins so I will give Dave a call today and talk to him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike peterson on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 10:09 am:

toss the alum one and buy a CORRECT one, that will fix your problem

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 11:59 am:

And if anyone has a OEM windshield frame for sale, it would be Mike P.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 11:25 pm:

Richard , do you have a picture from the inside where the hinge goes ,There are 2 types on the coupe one is closed and other open to the inside of the top where the hinge sets
I have an aluminum one on the closed one and it fits great \popjpeg {579403,}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 02:51 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard l. Weatherbee on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 12:26 pm:

Lorenzo, thanks for the pictures. I don't have any at this time but mine mounts exactly as yours. There are eight screws to mount it to the bottom of the header and the channel section of the hinge to go over the inside of the header for the header interior panel to set down into. I had to section 3/8 of an inch out of the hinge to bring the frame back to where it would be against the body like it is suppose to be. Do you have any pictures of the inside of the header area where the wiper handle passes through. I assume you had to cut the hinge and interior in that section.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 03:22 pm:

Richard , the wiper has a support built into the wind shield ,that the one we have don't have im still thinking of how I can do it
I think ill have to cut and get a support I have these 2 coupes and got them mostly in parts
I do have a windchield for one shown here

windchield

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard l. Weatherbee on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 09:11 pm:

Lorenzo, thanks for pictures. My trim is already cutout , but now I see what has to be put on top of the frame for the wiper to ride in

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration