Fan Hits Lower Hose

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Fan Hits Lower Hose
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 05:09 pm:

I installed my new fan using a 27" endless belt (the polyester type), and the fan is just hitting the lower radiator hose. The belt seems tight, so I don't think I can stretch it much more. I have a new split aluminum crankshaft pulley plus I built up the worn top pulley a bit with epoxy. The next larger size belt is 28-3/4". Should I try that?

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 07:56 pm:

Is it hitting the hose itself or one of the clamps? The larger belt would allow you enough slack to adjust the fan away from the hose, but if it's hitting the adjusting screw on the clamp, it would be easier (and cheaper) to just loosen the clamp and move it until the fan clears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 08:35 pm:

The fan is hitting the hose itself.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 08:46 pm:

The extra 1 3/4" in belt length will only raise the fan about 1/2". Probably more than enough to clear the hose. I would check and see if you have an additional 1/2" adjustment ... if so, no harm in trying the longer belt.

It may be that the combination of the new crankshaft pulley and your modification to the fan pulley has altered things enough that the stock belt won't work.

Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 08:49 pm:

The larger size belt will raise the fan 7/8", if you're not running a water pump. Will that work without causing other interference problems?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 09:25 pm:

I think I'll try the longer belt.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 02:54 am:

Hope that works. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 11:30 am:

Are you rotating the eccentric in the right direction? One direction moves it to the right as it raises the fan and the other direction moves the fan to the left as it raises. However, if you move it the opposite way, you might have interference with the timer. I suspect one of three things. 1: the belt is too short, 2: that you need a new upper pulley. 3, You have an incorrect lower hose. The lower hose should consist of two short hoses with a pipe between them.

Can you send us some pictures of the area?
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 08:09 pm:

Norm.., I have a '23 model, which I don't think has the fan. The hose is correct. I ordered a longer fan belt, so I'll post the results.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 09:01 pm:

Oops... I meant to say the fan has no eccentric.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 09:04 pm:

You're right. I misread the 27" belt as 27 year model. Yes you need a longer belt.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 02:01 pm:

Well, I fit the 28-3/4" belt, and it seemed to work, even though I had to adjust the fan fully "upward". I discovered, however, that the longer belt now rubs the timer control. My next step, i guess, is to get a 28" belt made up.

Phil

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration