Which oiler,brass or steel for 1912?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Which oiler,brass or steel for 1912?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg sarky K on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 10:48 pm:

Which are the correct oilers for an early,February , 1912 car,brass or steel ?
The car is very close in serial no to Royces touring,93xxx

The following is from the judging guidelines

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By roy palmer on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 07:10 am:

Yeah , kind of confusing. Cant really tell which month in 1912 that they go to steel from brass

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 07:28 am:

Greg,

Bruce's book is wrong by a couple months when it comes to 1912 model year shipping dates. The Benson Ford Accounts Receivables archive contains shipping records showing the majority of cars being shipped in December 1911 had serial numbers ranging from about 92,000 - 96,000. If your car has the original block you can easily verify this by comparing the casting date of the block to the fact that engines were serialized and the car shipped within about a week after the block was cast. January 1912 shows cars with engine serial numbers from about 96,000 - 101,000.

The MTFCI judging guidelines are sometimes suspect in my opinion, they are too generalized or over specific depending on what page we are discussing. There are lots of questions when we talk about model year versus calendar year.

The grease cup on the fan shaft is a good example. It was brass through calendar year 1912, then went to a steel base with an aluminum cup for 1913 - 1915.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg sarky K on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 08:36 am:

Royce
So if I understand you correctly you are saying that all the grease cups should be brass?

I cannot find any casting date on the block
There is a a date on the head that is December of 1911

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 01:18 pm:

Greg,

I would expect all the grease cups to be brass on your December 1911 built 1912 model year car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg sarky K on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 01:25 pm:

Thanks Royce ,much appreciated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 02:17 pm:

This discussion is misleading! Are we talking about ALL the grease cups on the whole car? I agree that the ones for the axle housings and drive shaft went to steel, but my two original '13s both have brass fan shaft grease cups, top and bottom. Also, the early steel grease cup tops have the cauliflower shaped tops, and not the later serrated style cups.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration