Interesting things in parts books

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Interesting things in parts books
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 01:54 am:

I collect parts books, USA & Canadian if I come across them at the right price. Some interesting things I've not seen before offered in a late 1928 Ford Motor Company USA book.

Motor assembly-less starter $125.00
short motor $60.00
(if only still today! any one got NOS?)

A full list of parts and prices for TT and T Ruckstell Axles as well, guarantee void if other than standard Ford or Ruckstell gears used.

This is the good old days, a full break down of battery parts!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 09:49 am:

We have forgotten that years ago it was possible to repair stuff. I can remember my father, a mechanic, machinist and heavy equipment operator repairing battery cells in the 1960's for large Cats and pans. Generally cells were exchanged between the good and bad batteries. But today everything is disposable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 10:17 am:

And people wonder why the landfills are getting overloaded!

When we moved to NH 25 years ago the local soda bottling plant (Squamscott Beverages) had returnable bottles but had trouble getting people to return them.
The locals were too lazy and the tourists wanted to keep them.
Now they only have single use bottles.

These are the original - collector bottles.

and the newest land fill bottles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 11:17 am:

I hear you Fred! Admittedly I don't know much about bottling soda on the scale Pepsi or Coca Cola and others do it, but I could never understand how using disposable containers is better environmentally or economically than using reusable containers.

Of course I can well remember paying a dime for a Coca Cola in a slide-it-out then pull-it-up vending machine and getting $.03 back later for the bottle. I suppose this indicates age and befuddlement long past the ability to comprehend modern things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 11:46 am:

Could you post a picture of a Ford parts book with Ruckstell parts in it? I've never seen one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 12:12 pm:

Used to be that most larger communities had a bottling works, bottling soda in returnable bottles for the region, even was one in Mt.Shasta. The Coca-Cola plant here in Oroville is now a large Thrift store.
Railroad Locomotive batteries are still being rebuilt; of course they are big enough that you use a fork lift to take them in and out of the engine!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 12:17 pm:

$125 was 25 days' pay.

Returnable bottles? You have to wash and sterilize them. You can't get good soap nowadays, bad for the environment. How much water does it take to wash all those bottles? Any is too much in the eyes of some. What about generating the heat needed to do the job? Well, there's fuel. Probably fossil, so there's a no-no. Not to mention the global warming it would cause. Then of course there is the disposal of the waste water, which in some districts has to be cleaner than it was coming in. So yeah, I can see where they might want to use disposable bottles....or ship their whole operation overseas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 12:36 pm:

Everything you say is true Hal, but how do those issues compare to the same problems associated with the manufacture, use and disposal of disposable containers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 01:00 pm:

I'm sure it comes down to the almighty dollar. If they can save even a penny on each bottle of soda, that is probably a mint at the end of a year.

I used to work for a lawn mower manufacturer. If you could save a few cents on a single lawn mower, you had really done something. A co-worker had an idea that would really have improved the quality of a component, but it was going to cost a quarter per unit. They told him "Not no, but L no!" As a consumer, you say "I'd be willing to pay an extra quarter on something as expensive as a lawn mower to get more quality or a useful feature", but it's not about YOU paying an extra quarter. It's about THEM saving that quarter. And the quarter is a huge exception. The savings were more usually in the few cents range, seldom over a dime. But in the height of the season, we produced 26,000 units a day. That's $2600 a day or $78,000 a month running 7 days a week. It adds up quickly. And soft drink companies produce a lot more than 26,000 units a day, so even fractions of a cent are significant. I can believe buying disposable bottles can save a fraction of a cent over cleaning and reusing returnables.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 01:11 pm:

Remember the soda jerk at the drug store?

If you were lucky he washed the glass before serving you! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 05:10 pm:

Larry,
the last 6 pages covers the Ruckstell, this page shows the warranty conditions.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration