Reproduction battery box

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Reproduction battery box
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 03:18 pm:

Is anyone using one of the reproduction battery boxes. I would like to put one in my 25 Tudor.Right now the battery is sitting on a wood spacer within the supporting framework. It is secure but exposed.

I noticed Lang's has one that resembles the factory box. My other question is..is it a good fit, or do I need to make minor modifications for it to work properly? Thanks in advance guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duane Markuson on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 09:34 pm:

I put a reproduction battery box in my 25 roadster 6 years ago. I can't remember who I bought it from but it fit fine and has not been a problem. Would think there really aren't many different ones being produced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 11:54 am:

If there is any interest, I could get a run of them made again. They are exactly like the original, but only the bottom and four sides. You will have to use an original top. Tops show up at swap meets once in a while. I bought one from Langs once, but discarded it because it wasn't made correctly, and an original Ford battery case wouldn't fit inside it as it should.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 12:35 pm:

Larry - The reproduction box sold by Langs notes that it does not have the original style joint seams. Are you saying the ones you made do? Any way we could see a picture?

https://www.modeltford.com/item/5158P.aspx

I would likely be interested.

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 01:24 pm:

Thanks guys for your input.I guess I should check the inside measurements of the carrier, along with the outside measurements of the battery to see what I have to work with before deciding on the reproduction.

I'm sure that lowering the battery down inside a metal box has it's own set of challenges. I think that having a thin piece of nylon strapping to act as a "sling" would really help, just leave the sling in place with the ends tucked away, then when you needed to pull the battery again you would be set.

Larry, depending on how things work out I may be interested in the lower half of the box as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 02:16 pm:

Charles,

A batter carrying strap like the one pictured below would be necessary to remove and install the battery. It attaches to the battery posts. One can be bought at any auto parts store or online for under $10.

Note that I always support the bottom of the battery with my hand once out of the carrier as a precaution and try to keep it as low to the ground as possible when carrying it long distances.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 02:27 pm:

Here is all I have. As I said in my post, my battery boxes are exactly like Ford made them, meaning they have the two correct seams. I don't see it on the post, but the last photo compares the two style of lids for this battery box, the early style with the rounded corners, and the later style used from 1925-27, with the square corners.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 06:27 pm:

Dan, I wasn't aware of this battery lifting devise, looks like the perfect solution. Thank you for enlightening me. I will look for it at my local auto supply.

Larry, The box looks nice and like something old Henry would have produced at the time. I would be interested in purchasing an example from you. Do you plan on making more anytime soon? I guess the next question/questions would be...what is the price and what is the gauge of the sheet metal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 03:16 pm:

I would consider making more if I could get a dozen orders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 04:26 pm:

I bought a Lang's replacement battery box for my '27. It was perfect in every respect. I have since repaired the original, and will reinstall it in the spring. Nothing wrong with the Lang's replacement, but I want my "survivor" T to be as original as it can be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 11:16 pm:

Larry

I would be interested in one of your boxes and it looks like Dan B. would also. I hope you get enough orders, if not I'll try to find an original box, and or,lid at the big Swap Meet in Portland OR. this next April. At one time this event was second only to Hershey. If not I go with Lang's example.

John thanks for your input. Glad the repro box worked out. I fully understand you wanting to preserve the original box though. I would think that a relative few of these exist in 100 % serviceable condition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 12:37 am:

I'd take one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 10:13 am:

To me, a reproduction part has to be as Ford made it. Langs battery boxes are not, and that is why I discarded the one I purchased. I tried to fit a NOS Ford battery case in it and it wouldn't fit. That is why I had to have mine made special. Once again, I used a NOS top that is pictured above. I also used a NOS ground strap. The reproductions are nice, but are not zinc plated as they should be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 12:15 pm:

I can accept that and get mine Zinc plated. Keep me on the list.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration