Hartford Friction Shocks

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Hartford Friction Shocks
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 04:36 pm:

Does anyone reproduce the Hartford Friction shocks? I know at least a couple of people that could be interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Johnson, Medina County TX on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 05:24 pm:

Check out MACSRATZ.com.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 05:27 pm:

There are perhaps 25 different companies and individuals selling them. Click here:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=FRICTION+SHOCKS+RAT+ROD+HOT+ROD

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 05:44 pm:

There used to be a fellow that did faithful reproductions of Hartford Friction Shock Absorbers but I believe he has passed away.

He had a space every year at the Horseless Carriage Meet at Bakersfield. As I recall, he might have been from up your way in Washington State.

If I remember right, his son had taken over the business but I haven't seen him for several years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 05:57 pm:

Thanks guys but I've foolishly purchased some of the $35 and $39 shocks and they are useless. Then there are some polished things that don't look worth having either. I'm hoping for something more like the original Hartford versions that actually work with real adjustable spring tension and friction linings that aren't plain rubber or plastic.

I know the real things seem to be both rare and spendy and was hoping somebody made something that looked and worked close to the originals. It doesn't seem like it should be that much more difficult to build something better than I've seen on Ebay or Speedway Motors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 06:22 pm:

Mike - I was typing when you were. I'll check with a couple speedster folks up here that have been in the hobby a good while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 06:47 pm:

Walt,

A good friend of mine is building a replica 1922 Essex factory racer using copies of original factory photos.

He's quite the purist and since the original used Hartford shocks, he wanted to use the same on his car. He had been collecting parts to build a complete set until we ran into the man at Bakersfield selling complete sets.

My friend wound up buying a complete set ($$$) and mixing some of the original pieces with the new ones. For example, he used the original tension indicators because the repos weren't exactly like the originals.

I recall talking with the man that was making them about what material he was using for the friction discs. He told me he was using cottonwood. He also told me that the originals were made with applewood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 07:04 pm:

Walt,

Ron Kipling was acquiring sets like the one's Mike is referring to above - might check with Paul or Al Murray as they ended up with the majority of Ron's "speedy" stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 07:13 pm:

Thanks Steve, I'll check with Paul and also with Scott Hills as he seems to have resources for some stuff too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 07:13 pm:

Here are some photos of the reproduction Hartford shocks my daughter has on her speedster. They are very accurate, and the quality is exceptional. The shocks are available now and hopefully the mounting brackets to put them on a T will be soon.

They are produced by Ted Davis and Charles Collier in Oklahoma City. Feel free to contact Charles for more information: ccollier@packardtwelve.com or 405-948-8763 ext 128.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 07:15 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 07:18 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 07:13 am:

I have the shocks Royce put the link in for. They were only $33 a pair a year ago when I bought them. I am very happy with them, they work very well. Every other T owner who rides in my car comments how much better it rides than their car.
They do everything I expected.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 11:22 am:

I thought the passengers were the shock absorbers!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Nelson on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 11:11 pm:

Walt:
Shaffers Antique Machine still makes authentic Hartford shocks. He used to sell at Bakersfield. His nephew is still making the shocks. 541-855-7509 Central Point, Oregon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 09:11 am:

I believe Shaffers makes the shocks specifically for T's, with all the T specific mounting hardware. They are a reproduction of an original T accessory. I have an original set on my speedster, they work fantastic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 10:46 am:

Thanks for the name, Steve - I couldn't remember who Kipling was acquiring them from.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 01:00 pm:

Steve,

Thank You. I'll be checking with them too. All the better if they have the brackets setup already for the T.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration