Removing rear axle for car

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Removing rear axle for car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter, Lithgow, NSW Australia on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 06:44 pm:

Hi guys, a quick question...

I need to take out my rear axle and strip and inspect, all the 600w oil I put in the diff is currently on the cardboard under the car. The car was overhauled last in the 1970's and there is evidence of old (now hard) red gasket cement around the centre casing split. It's a '27 tourer with body on.

The question is: can I undo the torque tube at the diff end and remove the rear axle that way or do I need to remove the whole unit complete from the sphere? I know that I would need to undo the radius rods at the brake backing plates as well as release the brake rods at the pivots.

I have read both the Ford service manual and the booklet I just got from Langs but neither really go into removal methods.

The problem I have is that if I support the car on stands (under the chassis rail) I can't roll out the rear axle complete due to the radius rods fouling with the stands. I have no way to support the car form above without the use of 'sky hooks". :-)

Cheers Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 06:52 pm:

Any help here??? :

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/172263.html?1290824949

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter, Lithgow, NSW Australia on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 07:00 pm:

Thanks for that Dave, does help with ideas to use, the simple ones I had already thought of, the mechanics rolling seat to support the front of the torque tube and the trolley jack for the diff end. As long as I can put the stands that far forward (in front of the radius rods) all should be fine!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 07:02 pm:

Jack up rear of car, place jack stands close and in front of radius rods aligning with frame, remove wheels, undo brake rods, ball cap, spring and roll out with roller jack on differential case. This will make it easy to check out the complete assembly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter, Lithgow, NSW Australia on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 07:04 pm:

Thanks for that David, that's what I plan to do....right now. Thanks guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter, Lithgow, NSW Australia on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

It's out, once you know that you can put the stands in front of the radius rods.....piece of cake (after a few choice words and some effort). Thanks again guys.

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling - Dayton OH on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 09:25 pm:

question though, do we have to do anything special with the springs to compress or support them when we take the shackles off to separate the axle from the springs? I would hate to be under there and have something bounce back in the general of my face. or worse! : )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 09:39 pm:

Loosen the perch nuts. That will take the tension off the springs. When you put it back on the car, leave the perches loose to install the shackles, then tighten and cotter pin the perch nuts. You shouldn't have any problem getting the shackles in place doing it this way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter, Lithgow, NSW Australia on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 10:03 pm:

I didn't loosen the perch nuts but I did lower the rear axle as much as I could. I had no problems with things springing up but was very careful to keep me out of the way!

I will take the loose perch nuts on board when it comes to reassemble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 02:24 am:

And please, do be careful. Make sure the car is securely blocked and supported.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter, Lithgow, NSW Australia on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 04:03 am:

Thanks Wayne, I have and I don't work under it. I only worked from above or from the side, same when I reinstall.

Cheers, Paul.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 05:50 am:

Try doing it this way- at least you plan it in a workshop!'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter, Lithgow, NSW Australia on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 04:54 pm:

Dane, I'll have to get some kero tins and tree stumps, that seems to be the answer. :-)

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 05:34 pm:

What a great pic Dane

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kurt Baltrusch on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 06:31 pm:

Here is another axle change out in the toolies in Utah. It looks like they are either installing or removing a 2 speed driveshaft (not a Ruxtell). Broken down T

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration