(Partly) why parts are so expensive

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: (Partly) why parts are so expensive
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 11:15 am:

2016 UPS® rates information

Effective December 28, 2015, the following increases will take effect: The rates for UPS® Ground services...will increase an average net 4.9%.

The rates for UPS Air and International services...will increase an average net 5.2%. UPS Air Freight rates...within and between the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico will increase an average net 5.2%.

UPS Freight® rates will increase an average net 4.9%, effective October 26, 2015.

Other changes
• On November 2, 2015, the Over Maximum Limits fee will increase to $110 for packages in the UPS system that are above the maximum weight or size.

• Beginning January 4, 2016, there will be a charge for UPS's Third-Party Billing Service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 11:31 am:

They also pile on an extra charge for shipping in a wood crate. You have to add a corrugated wrapper to avoid the charge. I now send large items by Fed Ex and small stuff by USPS. It seems they all have their deficiencies. USPS insurance is worthless unless you're shipping a store-bought item and have a printed receipt for it. If they lose something you bought at a swap meet with no receipt, you're SOL.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 01:21 pm:

Accompanying the notice is a statement that the increases are necessary to pay for UPS' investments in new systems. Another case of "hurting you is good for you." Says the Ministry of Love.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 01:36 pm:

And the Gov't says there is no inflation, so no increase in retirement benefit payments. . . .
I ran into the wooden box thing once years ago. Wrapped my wooden boxes with cardboard and no issues! Strange. . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 02:50 pm:

With all these folks "caring for us" and "making our lives better" we should be broke by Christmas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 03:23 pm:

I recently received an order from one of the "big 2" Model T parts vendors in which 6 bolts were incorrect. I called the vendor and was told to mail the errant bolts back and the correct ones will be immediately sent. So I sent the 6 ninety cent apiece bolts back as instructed utilizing a bubble wrap envelope and this USPS mailing cost me $4.54. And I received the 6 correct bolts from UPS immediately in an oversize box and was charged $10.98. The bolts are the same size and weight. In the future I will be using vendors that discriminate on their shippers with a view to saving me money!
You liked that didn't you Steve?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 03:37 pm:

I'll vote for that. Just a wild guess: Was the parts dealer in upstate New York?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 04:11 pm:

Not gonna answer that

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 05:15 pm:

Living down under for 60+ years and involved, one way or another, with anything automotive, its my belief that generally, T parts in the USofA are cheap....relatively.
Over the years I've imported MUCH from America, N scale model railroad stuff included, and I have a recent T purchase to illustrate my argument.
I bought a set of wood wheel hubs to Model A wire wheels adapters from John Stoltz at Model T Ranch recently. (top quality stuff).
I showed them to a friend here who was quite angry at me for overlooking him and buying them in from the States, because he could make them easily, here. But when I told him the price, he did some quick maths and agreed that, even at mates rates, he couldn't make them for anywhere near that money, including the extortionate shipping costs.
You folk enjoying the T hobby and lucky enough to be living in the USofA, don't know how well off you are......in this area at least.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 05:34 pm:

Steve, that would be more like western NY. Don't lump us upstate people into that area, LOL.

Yes, shipping is outrageous, and if your a fleet, I am sure you get special rates for things like fuel and such--gotta be salaries for the union workers too. I am amazed on how some stuff I buy off of Ebay can get shipped to me so cheaply, because I know it would cost me double that.

But the bottom line is, and I try to always keep this in mind...Can I drive there and back for $ XX.XX price? The answer is usually no, and even if I can, do I want to spend the time to do so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 06:31 pm:

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if UPS went under. I'm surprised they haven't already. Their service is higher priced than their competition and slower.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 09:20 pm:

I vote with Mike! I would not miss UPS. It is a sad state when the USPS (a government run company) has better service than UPS (a privately run company). I try to specify Fed Ex when I order parts. Suppliers should note this. Some of us want to be able to pick how we want our parts shipped and for what it is worth, I prefer Fed Ex but USPS priority shipping is attractive. And if I am just ordering a set of carb gaskets a envelope with a first class stamp will do!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 09:25 pm:

On most UPS billing they put in a fuel surcharge when the gas went way up last year but right now gas is way down but the surcharge didn't change so why not. I live in Illinois so used to being cheated mostly by da gubermint. I think IL is more corrupt now than when big AL C. was running things. I think the IRS put him in the big house but last time I looked, the IRS is cheating more of us than AL did. Will the last company to go out of business in Illinois please turn out the lights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 09:26 pm:

Well, you know that UPS & Fed Ex considered merging, but the new company name did not do well in market testing: FedUP!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 09:29 pm:

John. I feel your pain. If fact we all feel your pain!

Remember that when you vote!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 09:43 pm:

LOL, Let me know how to vote for Fed Ex.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 12:37 am:

But Mike,
Don't you enjoy standing in the UPS shipping office and listening to the irate customers complain about the service they are not getting?
They just miss and poan about everything that went wrong.
I have never heard that in a FED EX office.
Maybe because FED Ex just delivers things where it is supposed go.
That is the experience I have had with the two.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 02:44 am:

i have looked at shipping within the USA and it is cheap. Even shipping from china is cheaper than sending things locally. Once a parcel leaves the USA it's killer pricing. With tax added too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 08:55 am:

quote:

Maybe because FED Ex just delivers things where it is supposed go.
That is the experience I have had with the two.

That's not my experience. FedEx has delivered parcels across the street, had a signature on the delivery record and it wasn't me. It took two weeks to get that sorted out. Another time; I was waiting for an overnight delivery. A day after it was expected, I checked the status online and it was marked delivered. Here we go again, I thought. This time FedEx admitted it was delivered across the street. I wanted no part of the "group" that was living there at the time so I called the Sheriff's office. A deputy retrieved the OPENED envelope and I got the "overnight" delivery four days later.

UPS takes 7-10 days to get anything here. At least it gets here but they are SLOW. If the vendor holds an order for a few days, delivery can take two weeks from the time I order. The ONLY exception to this is orders from McMaster-Carr. I get those by the third day so I don't know where the problem lies with other vendors or UPS.

I use USPS Priority Mail exclusively when I ship out anything. And I usually get USPS delivered packages by the third day from anywhere in the country (lower 48). My rural carrier will often bring the package up to the house if it's too large for the mailbox. (Long driveway)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 01:39 pm:

I usually get pretty good service with OOPS, but lately I've been amused by all the "service impact" statements run in a banner on their website. Notices to the effect that "it's raining in Seattle" or "it's hot in Death Valley" or "it's snowing in Syracuse"; therefore you should expect service delays.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 02:01 pm:

One of the things I like about Lang's is their practice of shipping small items in small packages by USPS. Things I order from them on Monday usually arrive Wednesday afternoon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 09:50 pm:

R.V., they are just catching up to FedEx who has been doing those "news flashes" for years now. My company home base uses FedEx exclusively, I have to laugh at some of lame delays they come up with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 11:59 pm:

As a commercial business receiving shipments every day, I will tell you the reason FEDEX is cheaper. The delivery drivers are franchise owners of their route. They own their trucks and are paid a fee for every delivery.

You have no control over them what so ever, neither does FEDEX. Often as not the FEDEX idiot will try and deliver our freight at 7 pm when we are closed. Then we have to call the terminal and ask for a redelivery. That takes another 2 days. All in all its not worth the few pennies you save to deal with these bozo's.

At least UPS is there on time when they say they will be there. Our vendor in California has a sweetheart deal with UPS and our rates are very reasonable. The service is 1st rate.

just sayin.

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 12:34 am:

If you want it, you will pay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Nichols on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 10:54 am:

I was told by a retired US Postal Service worker that every quarter the UPSC projects the next quarter's income / Profit and if the total is less then they report a loss and base their increase in costs on that "loss."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 11:54 am:

To Rob Patterson,
I do know how fortunate we are here in the USA when it comes to shipping. Most folks who complain about the USPS haven't tried dealing with the postal system in other countries. I tried to mail an SLR camera home from Spain. The Spanish PO wanted $100 for postage, and another $100 for a "customs inspection." I could visualize some fat idiot looking at it and saying the Spanish equivalent of "Yup, it's a camera" and putting it back in the box. The camera came home with me in a checked bag on the airplane.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 12:13 pm:

So shipping costs are going up. Oh, the shippers will blame rising fuel costs. Wrong, everybody knows that's a no brainer. O.K., rising transportation vehicle costs. Hmmm, maybe. Rising wages and benefits costs, well if anything is the answer, that is, but with the cost of living continuing to increase, you can't blame the workers. Maybe we should blame the stock holders and CEO's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 12:52 pm:

A year or two ago I had a package I was needing during the Christmas rush and knew UPS was running late every day, so I stayed late at the shop with the gate open. First night watching tracking it was updated, "nobody there, business closed" and I thought an unfamiliar driver went to the wrong building. The next night I had the lot lights on and my building lit up. Same thing. The third night it happened again and I called our local UPS dispatch. The supervisor was livid when I told her I was staying until 8pm every night until the tracking updates hit and the driver wasn't even appearing in the lot. It was here first thing the next morning with a grumpy driver. I'm a little out of the way and the driver was just blowing me off so he could get home earlier.

None of the services are saints, I'll take UPS or FedEx for incoming, but use FedEx for outgoing almost exclusively. Of all of them, USPS has been consistently horrible for bigger deliveries and their tracking system is a joke.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 01:52 pm:

I live at 309 Orchard Av. in Hayward
The same UPS store also delivers to a town next to Hayward, and they have an apt. building with the same number on their Orchard Av.
I can always tell they tried to deliver my package in the wrong town when I get a card in the mail telling me there was no Apartment Number on my package.
They really hate it when I point to the city name Hayward on the package and ask them if that really says, "San Leandro".
That is probably the fault of the guys that load the trucks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer---- Klaaswaal NL on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 02:42 pm:

- { why parts are so expensive }
Parts are not expensive for us, but the freight rates and Taxes are " SO HIGH".
Some weeks ago I ordered some parts from Lang's for a total of $ 107.00
Fedex freight $ 135.00
Taxes in Holland $ 52.00
Total $ 294.00

Greetings from Holland Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 03:21 pm:

The thought never entered my head until I went to AFG, but we U.S. folks got life pretty damned
good when it comes to freighting. I was drop-jawed by the costs to get even small items to places
like Dubai and Kenya. USPS just don't go there, so it is a wide open market for FedEx and DHL.

At one point, Uncle Sam decided to distro some never-used welders to the burn pit. A few guys
thought this was a total waste of an expensive and useful machine, and the idea was looked into of
shipping them back the States. Quotes were in the five figure range !

There is a reason we drag conflicts out into decade-long affairs. People make LOTS of money !

Next time the shipping cost seems high, as for a quote to an address in Afrika of Asia !

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration