It Happened to Me and It Can Happen to You!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: It Happened to Me and It Can Happen to You!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 11:26 am:

Some time during my Hershey vacation this year, my credit card number was stolen. I didn't find out until my card stopped working on the way home. When I called card security, they told me that somebody in Miami had already put over $12,000.00 of fraudulent charges on it.

Maybe one of the gas pumps I used had a scanner on it, maybe a hotel worker scanned it, or maybe somebody with a portable scanner scanned it while it was in my wallet at the show (I hear such things are possible now, and you can buy shielded wallets to protect against walk-by scanning).

Anyway, I will not be held liable for the fraudulent charges and a new card with a new number is on its way, but be careful out there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 11:42 am:

I carry one credit card and one debit card each from different banks. My wife carries one credit card, not the same as mine and a debit card from a different bank. That way the hope is that if one of us is robbed, we won't be stranded somewhere.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 11:57 am:

Mark - We had the same thing happen several years ago. I have to say that I was impressed at how quickly Visa picked up on something that didn't look right to them and cut off the card! And as you say, we suffered no loss, even tho' there were several thousand dollars of fraudulent purchases made at three electronics stores locally here in Tacoma that day. Since then, we handle credit cards very similar to the way you and your wife do Norman,......it's a shame that we have to think that way nowadays, huh?.........harold

P.S. I believe that that's one good feature of a major credit card as opposed to a debit card,.......with a credit card, you're less likely to suffer much (if any) personal loss than you might with a debit card. I guess banks are more worried about THEIR money than they are about yours!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 12:14 pm:

Something like that happened to me a few years ago.

Shortly after a trip to Detroit my credit card company called and questioned a $2,000 charge for high end hardware that was being shipped to an address in Michigan.
They assured me that I would not be charged and sent new cards overnight.
I was able to tell them the two places I used the card - hotel near the airport and rental car at the airport.

My hope is that they caught the person and did more than scold them, but my guess is that did nothing.

I don't want to appear to be overly religious so I will say that I hope there is a special place in "The Matrix" for people that do things like that. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 12:46 pm:

Mark - (& Fred & Norman) - Thanks for relating your unfortunate "experience" Mark, as it promotes an interesting discussion that might be of help to others:

Because of the unfortunate "experience" that I related earlier in this thread, my wife and I now have a "procedure" that we adhere to when making any kind of unusual and/or more expensive purchase than normal. If we think a credit card transaction might look suspicious to the credit card company due to the type of transaction, whether because it's an unusual type transaction for us, or perhaps involves a greater amount of money than our normal purchases, we call the credit card company at the phone number provided on the back of the card, and advise them that we are about to make such an unusual or expensive transaction. This is because the only way the credit card company will reactivate your credit card after they've cut it off (for any reason) is to send you and your wife new credit cards with of course a new number. This is a real pain when you have a number of companies that you've arranged to bill your credit card directly, like for instance, insurance premiums, utility bills, etc, because with a new card, you have to call every one of those companies and inform them of the new credit card information. I would just add that every time we have done this, the credit card company thanks us for calling them to inform them prior to our purchase, and advises that they will enter a note in their computer to the effect that the purchase that someone in their company might question (because they do watch) is actually "legitimate".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 01:09 pm:

I had a card swooped last year at Hershey...

The only place I used it was at a Ruby Tuesday restaurant in a town just north of Hershey.

Came out OK...big things taken care of quick.....little things lasted forever...somehow my card was also used over and over to buy cigarettes by the pack in Chicago Illinois. VISA never could understand that I'm a non-smoker...

Don't forget...anywhere you had a credit card stored for retail...local toll authority, etc...you have to re-sign with your new car number or magically, they start sending you dunning notices when the old card number is refused. It's an electronic world now and maybe I have room for a strongbox under the bed :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 01:51 pm:

About a year ago our main card was used to buy $5K of stuff at a Target store in New Hampshire. Credit card company didn't question it, we did when we got the bill! Called them, and they asked, "Didn't you just call to have your credit line increased?"
"UH NO!" Where is your card? Right here in my wallet in California, where it's always been! Oh, and someone made a payment to your card for $3K. Uh, not me, that's not my bank!
These guys were really out to get more money--their payment, of course, bounced. Credit Card company finally fixed everything, but we were without the card for a month. Very strange scenario, and my first thought was "must be an inside job at the Target store because a purchase that large would require verification--AND how could you spend that much money at Target??
We had just returned from a trip to Seattle, WA where we had to rent a car for a day while ours was being repaired--and that's where we figure we were cloned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 02:13 pm:

The trouble is, even though "we're" not liable for fraudulant charges, 99% of 'em go un-reimbursed to the credit companies. So in the end, we all pay, either through higher interest rates than maybe what should be, and/or higher prices at the shelf for stores to make up their losses. It's a shame that society has so many crooks, and it seems to be increasing every year. I've had it happen to me too, but only for around $800.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 02:15 pm:

I wouldn't own a debit card, period! As far as credit cards, on the back of the card instead of signing it, I printed Photo ID.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 02:37 pm:

Harold -
Your are right about it being a pain when you have set up automatic payments.
In my world they are Easy Pass (because it is the only way they do it), Nexfkix, and Vonage.
I also have to remember which accounts, such as Amazon, have the card number.

Also, I use my card all over the world. I always call the CC company before going on a trip so they don't get concerned when they see a charge from Shanghai, Hong Kong, Barcelona, or the strangest place in the world LA! :-)

Tim you are also right - someone - us - end up paying for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 02:46 pm:

The post office here requires your card to be signed. They won't wait on you if it's not and your not allowed to sign in front of them

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 02:47 pm:

Great idea Larry!!!...We've had 3 Mastercards hijacked in the last 2 years. None ever left our possession however. USAA credit card company caught the fraudulent purchases and called me to confirm every time! When they say " you'll receive your new card in 7-10 workdays" just kindly ask them to expedite it and you'll get it in a day or two. About the biggest pain in the butt for me was to change to the new number on file at Lang's. I'm aghast at the evident large number of Americans who increasingly want something for nothing and utilize technology to cheat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 02:55 pm:

I'm currently going through a different kind of debit card hassle. As happens periodically, a retailer where I used my card at some point was hacked. Since the card company and the retailer aren't sure which card numbers were compromised, they cancel all the cards involved and send new ones. In this case (unlike previously), I didn't get the new card (which they said they mailed in September). After a month, they canceled the old one. I found out when I tried to buy groceries Wednesday. A replacement card will arrive by UPS today, but I am still faced with changing the number at the places that use it for automatic payments. Always something.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 03:21 pm:

Call me nuts if you like but when they started putting magnetic strips on credit cards mine would work for a week or two then quit. My father had the same problem so we started putting our credit cards in aluminum foil and had no further problems so I guess I have been "protected" by default no one has ever been able to explain to my satisfaction why the magnetic strips would de-magnetize in my wallet. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 03:42 pm:

In the Great State of Washington, when you apply for and are issued an "Enhanced" driver's license (much like a passport for Canada & Mexico, I believe), it comes with it's own little handy foil lined "protector" and the DOL states "be careful near checkout scanners" ! Hell of a time trying to get my license out of it !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 04:42 pm:

a few months ago I found 2 53.00 charges on my discover card for two cell phone bills not mine. I called and they took the amount off and sent me a new card no charge to me. after several calls asking who made the charges and did they catch the crook yet the fraud dept closed the case. how could they not find out who paid his cell phone bill with my card? silly on my part but I cut up my new card and sent it back to them no wonder so much fraud if the card co.dont care

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 04:50 pm:

I forgot to notify my bank (Navy Federal Credit Union) one time that I was traveling to Canada. They called me immediately upon the first usage. Been with them since 1973 and staying with them was a smart idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 04:54 pm:

Mark,

Thanks for the heads up ....

Timely reminder - I just had a diesel parts supplier charge $250 out of the blue that we had done business with over 2 years ago ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 04:57 pm:

I've had two credit cards hacked three times, My Citicards Mastercard twice and a Sears card once (which I have since canceled).
I asked Citi what could I do to prevent this and they said nothing as it's no different than using it in person where an unscrupulous person could get my info and go to town with my card anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 05:01 pm:

Isn't the title of this thread the name of a song ??????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 07:02 pm:

I had a house mate take and use a check from the middle of the stack...Didn't find out about it till too late to do anything. So stuff happens not just with cards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Bailey -Farmington CT. on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 08:10 pm:

Hey mark.... I got an email yesterday from my credit card company with numerous charges that weren't mine..... They caught it and refused charges but the last time I used the card was in hershey..... I have a feeling its from one of the gas stations..... Good thing the credit card companies red flag suspicious charges..... 2800. At a pawn shop in ill. And 2300. In a hotel in New York on the same day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 10:28 pm:

so far I feel very lucky.
But I don't understand what I do know about these things.
A friend had her debt card stolen and she didn't have a lot of money in the account.The thieves spent all of that and somehow over drafted by a few 100 bucks.
She went to get money and had none. They had photo's of the thieves using her card,and she told them the address where they were as they were a patients family members. The bank refunded her money and did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about it.
500 bucks worth of cig's and food,free to the thieves.
About a year later, she gets card applications from Victoria secret and Toy's are Us.
Nothing she inquired about. She called and they gave her the name of her "friend" that had applied for a joint card in both their names.In other words a fake relationship with another woman. Armed with the woman's name,picture and such, she called the sheriffs department. A detective came out ,wrote down some stuff and said,"Ok this woman has a LONG record of this activity and was just released last month from serving a year in jail for the same thing.
We will let you know what turns up".
2 years later, she has not heard a peep out of nobody.
It is as if the scammers are immune to punishment.
But what it amounts to is this.
Insurance. It is cheaper and easier to write all this off as loss and go on with life. Sad aint it?

I would really like to know more about securing my card.The new credit card has a dang chip in it and everytime I go to walmart I have to use the chip reader instead of scan and sign. that bugs me so from now on, I am going to use cash there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 10:48 pm:

Several credit card scanners have been found in gas pumps in lower Michigan. Mostly along the I-94, I-96 and I-69 freeways. Five people were caught and it slowed for a while. It's easy for someone with the key to the pump to open it and insert a scanner that will read your credit card info and transmit it to a receiver nearby. You will never know your number has been stolen till it shows up on your statement. It's been warned to check the seal on the pump to make sure it hasn't been broken or neatly cut or to pay inside. Also use pump closest to the building as most scanners are found in pumps farthest away from the building.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 10:48 pm:

Mack.......I had written about the chip reader at Walmart in my post above but couldn't recall for SURE whether or not I signed........you reminded me!
I rarely shop Walmart anyway but it was a Sunday and I NEEDED more spray paint while in the middle of a project.
Anyway I was cash poor that day so used my card which for some reason wouldn't scan.
The lady asked "Does your card have a chip?" to which I replied I don't know......never paid any attention to it.
She looked at my card, said yes, told me to plug in the card at the front slot in the card reader.
A few moments later that was it......no ID......no SIGNATURE.......no NOTHING.
My impression was this is NOT a good idea.
It's a bonanza for anyone with a penchant for stealing credit cards: steal, swipe and live it up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 12:13 am:

I was held up at gun point March 16th, this year.
I had two debit cards and three credit cards.
They did not use the debit cards, they didn't know my pin number.
They got $95 cash-back on each of two credit cards, $37 worth of gas (at the same gas station) and $7,700 in cash or goods at a clothing store.
I was not out any money, but I would suspect the gas station and the clothing store knew what was going on.
I now carry expired credit cars and hide the good stuff in the car.
I keep most of the cash in a magnetic hide-a-key box.
It's a ain in the pass but I'm sick of bastards stealing stuff from me.
I had it happen 20 years ago too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 12:19 am:

Some gas pumps in my area don't ask for a pin number, they ask for your zip code. That's easy enough to find if you have the card owner's address. It's on the drver's license if it is stolen with the credit cards like mine was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 04:10 am:

Don't have none of these new fangled card thingys. i only have money & not alot of it. Seems to prevent credit card problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 11:26 am:

The "Scanners" I referred to earlier are more properly called "Skimmers." This type are placed inside the pump vs over the outside card slot and transmit your card data via Blue Tooth technology to a recorder nearby. I've seen it referred to as the fastest growing credit card fraud method.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Allen on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 03:40 pm:

Here's one that happened to me a couple of years ago. I got a call from a nice lady at VISA Security who asked me my mother's maiden name, my nearest cross street and some other stuff like that. I told her and then I asked what was going on.
She asked, have you activated your new VISA card yet? I said no and that I was going to do that in a couple of days.
She said, well someone just tried to use your new card number!
She told me not to activate the card, and they sent me new one.
So far so good...

Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Nichols on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 09:06 am:

A few years back, When I received my monthly bill,
for my credit card, I also received a new credit card. At once I called Langs and gave them the new info. I usually only use the card for travel,
and I guess I / we have been lucky. We also carry
a $1000.00 cash for emergency use. Of course the better half decides what an emergency is as she carries the money in her money belt.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration