Driveshaft spool bushing removal

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Driveshaft spool bushing removal
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harry Courtneay on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 07:40 pm:

What is the best way to remove the sleeve bushing from the enclosed stud spool---or is this a job for a shop -----suggestions appreciated-----thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 08:56 pm:

Send it to Lang's as a core for the Fun Projects modern bearing spool. I've done three of them that way and wouldn't consider any other way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 08:59 pm:

Remove the bolt and press it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 09:14 pm:

Harry:

If you are going to send it to me (Fun Projects) and have no reason to want the worn out bushing (called the "pinion bearing sleeve") then just leave it in there but if you want it out then remove the hex "set screw" on the side of the housing and then press it out by pushing the bushing out towards the rear of the spool. Sometimes they are easy to press out and sometimes they are pretty well stuck but my press has never failed to move one out. We don't use the old sleeve at all in building up our pinion bearing kit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 09:23 pm:

I"m with Dale--except I would send it directly to Fun Projects!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 09:33 pm:

I'm with Dale and David. Whenever I have to replace a pinion bearing, I'll send the spool to John and get his replacement bearing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 09:54 pm:

I am with Dale, David and Steve. Get a Fun Projects modern bearing setup.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 10:07 pm:

Why do you think the sleeve needs replacing? Is it severely worn, scored or spalled? Maybe you can use it as is. The original design is quite serviceable if the parts are in good condition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harry Courtneay on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 12:38 am:

Ted-the sleeve has pitting on about half of the service and small cracks on the sides as well as being slightly deformed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 10:49 am:

I've run the original style bearing sleeves for thousands of miles, and never a problem. NOS sleeves show up occasionally. Ford and Hyatt made them, maybe others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 10:50 am:

You would have to press the old one out and new one in. Making sure the hole for the lock bolt lines up. You might be better off finding a good one or as suggested one of the Fun Projects replacements.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 07:50 pm:

I'm with Larry. I picked up 2 NOS outer sleeves at Hershey this year with good bearings. The original equipment is available and will roll forever.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration