Magneto resistance

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Magneto resistance
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jamie Holmes on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 11:17 pm:

I am getting ready to give my magnets a zap.

Can anyone give me a resistance value for the magneto windings ?

I measured mine and I got a reading of .4 ohms which seems a bit low to me considering how long the winding is.

At 36 volts that would equate to 90 amps. Taking into consideration that a magnetic field is being created, therefore also creating back EMF which will oppose current flow, a momentary connection shouldn't result in 90 amps In the circuit.

Can someone give me an idea as to the amount of time that current should be applied to the windings ?

Sorry if I am complicating a ham sandwich here but I was intending on using a heavy duty variable voltage power supply which has a momentary contact switch instead of 3 -12 volt batteries in series.

Maximum output on the supply is 50 amps @ 48vdc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 12:08 am:

One end is grounded to the coil ring plate so you would be measuring resistance between your two probes which could include a lot of cast iron unless you have the ring out and the one end disconnected, you don't say.
People have used DC welders on the low setting to do the job. Just a quick close and open or touch and release a couple of times, then rotate 1/4 turn repeat, then two more 1/4 turns. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jamie Holmes on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 05:51 am:

Mark,

Good point, I am doing it while assembled in the car.

Thanks for the pointer on time.

Would rather not let the "magic smoke" out of the windings

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration