New Model T owner here

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: New Model T owner here
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jensen on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 01:47 am:

I bought a 1923 Model T Touring car a couple of weeks ago. I have wanted a T for a very long time. When I went with my dad to the auto parts store here in Tucson, some 50 years ago there was a brass Model T and what I was told later a Chevrolet Model D, that belonged to the owner of the store. I sure liked that brass T. Last April my daughter and I went to Yosemite and rented the Model A Ford roadster from Dave at the Tin Lizzie Inn. Then I knew I had to have an old car of my own. I found this one on Craigslist in Flagstaff. The previous owner of the car told me that the car I bought was restored in the early 60's. The side curtains were under the back seat wrapped up in newspapers from 1964.
I am getting a few things sorted out. The fuel line was an assortment of copper tubing, rubber hose and a plastic shut off valve. The exhaust pipe had been cut for an exhaust whistle, and the muffler was hanging on with tie wire. A new exhaust system was ordered and installed this past week. The generator is not charging so I took it apart, and it looks like melted tar inside. May need to get a new generator for it.
Not sure how to resize pictures for the forum, so here is a short video that my brother took on his first Model T ride.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tu1N4xmXoE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 02:06 am:

As some of us say here "Welcome to our affliction"
George n L.A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 02:22 am:

Hi Dan,

Great story !

So you live in Tucson ?

Great city .....

Thank you for posting.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 02:30 am:

You may be able to fix the generator yourself. I've had pretty good luck using the MTFCA Electrical System book. Info here: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG80.html

If the previous owner doesn't know for sure about the rear axle, you'll need to check this: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG79.html

Your computer has software for resizing photos. If it's a Mac I can tell you how. If it's not, somebody else can.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 07:01 am:

Dan I'm not sure why but I have the same smile on my face when I'm driving my T. Keep up the good work. Dan I only have the experience from one rebuilder of generators and that was with Ron Patterson. You won't go wrong he is very meticulous and a world of help almost always on his dime.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 10:51 am:

Great car. Welcome to the hobby. These cars are fun to drive. We have had two two tours which I attended out of Sierra Vista. There is a lot of good country for T driving in Arizona.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Seibert on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 11:47 am:

One of life's great pleasures is driving my 23 touring car. Good luck and welcome aboard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jensen on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 12:01 pm:

Think that I got the picture size to where it needs to be.23 T

I know, it's red.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 12:24 pm:

Fun comes in many colors. Red is one of the best. A model T generator will burn itself down if it becomes disconnected from the battery while running. This can happen if the cutout fails or their is some wire harness problem. It is also not good when the cutout fails closed when the engine is off. Make sure your entire charging system is is in good shape when you install your rebuilt generator or it will not last. I like the new cutout with a true voltage regulator from Fun Projects. They are a real improvement and no visible changes. Very important to follow the instructions to the letter on these. If you use the stock cutout, it is still important to properly adjust the generator charge rate for it to last. All the info you need on this is available when you are ready. Ron Patterson is the go to guy on T generators and anything else electrical.
Fordially, Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Nichols on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 09:15 am:

I have a neighbor who has a 23 the same color and model as yours. His is minus the luggage rack.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration