New Day timer problems

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: New Day timer problems
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Seibert on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 11:29 am:

I keep wearing out brushes at an alarming rate. Are there brushes available made of a different material.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 11:54 am:

Usually, this happens when spring behind the brush is too stiff. Replace it with the spring from a ball point pen. You should feel much less tension when you install the timer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 03:13 pm:

I see a NOS New Day in the original box just sold on ebay for $175! I had better take mine and lock them up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 09:38 am:

If someone would make some well made New-Day timers they would sell as well as a lot of the other repro parts do.
There is a market for them by the way a good one or a NOS sells.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 09:57 am:

Is the inside surface of the cover smooth and level? If not, that may be part of your problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 10:41 am:

You need to watch how thick the contacts are. They are about the same thickness as the part that the wire screws to. You can judge the thickness by looking at the side wall where the piece is molded in thru the side wall. At some point they may just get too thin to hold up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 04:40 pm:

Michael, I have never heard of wearing out a New Day Timer Brush. The brass brush wears the inner mating surface of the Timer but not the brush. If anything the brush is too hard for the timer and we replace them with a carbon brush made from an old large Generator brush. That brush will wear faster than the Brass one but will not tear up the inner surface of the Timer and is self lubricating. I have had very good luck doing that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 04:48 pm:

As far as prices go 3 years ago I bought 4 at Chickasha for $5 a piece and they were good ones.
He had several more for less and now I wish I had bought all of them.
They were in a bucket for 2 days and nobody was interested I guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 05:19 pm:

Might I add that when using a New Day timer, and possibly other makes, that it is important to have a good seal around the camshaft to keep oil from coating the inside of the timer. My Dad and I restored our 27 coupe in the late 60's when most people were still using the felt that came in the gasket sets and had constant oil leak problem that were very aggravating.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration