OT - Now THIS is gonna be fun ..... :-)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Now THIS is gonna be fun ..... :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 04:51 pm:

It has been a great past couple of weeks ...

But today - well today marked the beginning of an adventure that starts in Central California ....

Follow me in images as these very rare trucks see the light of day for the first time since 1948.

More images:

Instagram @ http://instagram.com/directenclosedautohauler/#

Twitter @ https://twitter.com/directautohaul

Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005456325407

Follow the journey to a museum in North Carolina where they will be loved - respected - restored.

Then put on public display ..... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 09:02 pm:

Nice really like that Olds truck on your FB page

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 09:17 pm:

What year is the International? I was at a fall fair car show last weekend and a man there had a red 1922 International which looked just like that one. He was giving people rides in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 11:29 pm:

Jim
I am thrilled that you are having fun.
Moving a piece of history can be exciting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 11:54 pm:

Nothing cool about old trucks. Move along people, move along ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 11:57 pm:

I could not get these trucks out today.

The neighborhood has " grown up " around the buildings over time.

Even though the street was coned off in front of the doors - people parked & blocked access.

These trucks are the oldest surviving tree trimming service original vehicles believed to survive in the states.

Wait until you see the International ......

It is an honor to be asked to move them to the museum.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 11:58 pm:

A www Burger

Trucks are cool.
Didn't you know that trucks are not for just boys?

Ask any girl - they always know best!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 03:19 pm:

Dave,

The Oldsmobile is a 1920 Model & extremely rare.

Here is an image of it in service - it is the open C cab model in the foreground.

The International is a 1922 Model - here is an image of the actual truck in service ...

The caption says " 1926 " but it is believed the picture was taken as late as the early 1940's due to the style of clothing.

The truck is complete & looks just like the picture ....

Both trucks were in use up until 1948.

Both trucks were registered as auxiliary fire-fighting equipment as did all of the tree companies with spray rigs.

The International is the oldest known original surviving complete spraying rig known to exist in the states ....

Again - I am honored to transport these pieces of history .... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 03:36 pm:

Sorry, Fred ... nothing cool about trucks. ;-)

I made a couple stops along my "tour" yesterday to let the TT visit with some distance cousins.
One is a late 20's International dump truck that the owner says was used by his wife's uncle to help
build Grand Coulee Dam. The other is a C-cab Hug Roadbuilder. Never heard of such a critter !
Had to Google it to learn more about them.

As for girls, .... I like girls. Always found them more fun to be around than dudes. My other cars
are little more than man magnets, attracting all sorts of hairy blowhards, ready to recite all the cliché
BS about engine displacement and HP ratings. A lot of dudes seem to think this isn't some sort of
same sex weirdness, but I tend to disagree when it becomes more than necessary or functional mingling. ;-)

On the other hand, the TT attracts lots of those girl-style people and the dudes that do come around
aren't the chest pounder, poser types. It is a win-win situation. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 06:47 pm:

Thanks Jim. I now wish I'd taken a picture of the International that I saw. I will probably have to wait a year until I see it again. I'm not surprised that those trucks are special. The owner has two Stanley Steamers as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 09:17 pm:

Jim are you hauling these if your going i80 of Sierra let me know

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

Would they happen to be heading to Carthage?....... :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 09:25 pm:

A few photos of yesterdays truck adventure ....

If I ever asked about the year of the International, I have since forgotten
what I was told. I did not think to ask the owner of the Hug what year it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 09:58 pm:

Burger,

Nice to have a truck appreciation thread ..... :-)

Bob,

No - I am planning on taking I-40.

Craig,

Not headed to Carthage - not initially anyway.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 08:49 am:

Burger, Were you trying to get everyone away so you could have all the trucks to yourself? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 12:00 am:

I have found it difficult to drive more than one at a time ! They also take up a fair
chunk of room to store, and each of them present a fairly sizable hole in one's green
rectangle storage bin !

My true motive is making fun of all the people who only think the T cars are worthy
of owning/restoring/driving. The cars are great, but c'mon ! .... after a while, they all
look the same ! Let's do something different here, people ! :-)

In MY perfect world, I'd see old trucks like these being used and going down the
road every day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 12:38 am:

More pictures posted from pick up this morning if you click on one of the links above .....

Took about 3 hours - everything barely fit .....

Long day ...... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 02:41 pm:

Why are the wheels/tires on the Olds truck SO SMALL ????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 10:48 am:

Burger,

Can't answer that - I was not born yet when they were installed.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 10:51 am:

Here are some images from load out on Monday .... :-)

IMG_3331.JPG

IMG_3336.JPG

IMG_3340.JPG

More images:

Instagram @ http://instagram.com/directenclosedautohauler/#

Twitter @ https://twitter.com/directautohaul

Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005456325407

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 07:33 pm:

Well,

After more than 2800 miles - (4) lost days to numerous flat tires & mechanical issues ....

These trucks are at their new home in Charlotte, NC ...

Drop off was late this afternoon ... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 07:33 pm:

Well,

After more than 2800 miles - (4) lost days to numerous flat tires & mechanical issues ....

These trucks are at their new home in Charlotte, NC ...

Drop off was late this afternoon ... :-)

Freighter Jim

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration